• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Carrier Qualification

Rass

So I have read several books describing the experience, but none of them ever really provided me enough information to satisfy my curiosity. Well, i know roughly how it goes down (with several touch and go's then the actual landing) and that its the most nerve racking 17 seconds of a pilots career.

With all that said, I'm curious to hear what you guys that have actually done it think.

*What was going through your head as you were lining up the meatball?
*Was the deck pitching?
*Were you calm and collected/ sweating blood?
*Was it easier or harder than you expected?
*Did you have any mishaps?
*How did you feel after wards (pumped i hope :p)?
*And anything you think would be interesting to share!

Edit:
P.S. I absolutely love AW; there is virtually no way i would get to ask these questions and learn from people who have "been there done that" without such an amazing tool at my finger tips!

MasterBates

-I wonder what's for midrats
-yes
-yes
-I thought it was fun
-not yet, at least on the FW side of the house
-"Hey! That worked!"
-Make sure lap belts are TIGHT. Mine were, but I heard a lot of "guhhh" from those whose weren't. When your shins are 1/2" from metal things, you tend to be aware and tighten them up. Oh, and don't worry about CQ. I forsee RLQ in your future.

MasterBates

CQ. For the Cat Shot more than anything else.

The CV approach is a bit more "critical" as far as flying it, hitting the numbers and being dead nuts on the ball, but if you do your part on the approach, the landing just happens.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
P.S. I absolutely love AW; there is virtually no way i would get to ask these questions and learn from people who have "been there done that" without such an amazing tool at my finger tips!

That's funny...your mom told me last night she'd never had such an amazing tool at her finger tips.

HeeeeeyOOOOOO! :D

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
Good gosh! What were you thinking using the term "amazing tool at my fingertips" in front of a bunch of Naval Aviators? That's a recipe for quickest threadjack/smart-ass remark in history! Nicely played, UF;-)

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Carquals

With all that said, I'm curious to hear what you guys that have actually done it think.

*What was going through your head as you were lining up the meatball?
*Was the deck pitching?
*Were you calm and collected/ sweating blood?
*Was it easier or harder than you expected?
*Did you have any mishaps?
*How did you feel after wards (pumped i hope :p)?
*And anything you think would be interesting to share!
To respond to your questions, tell me: are you talking...
1. Initial Training Command day quals
2. Initial Fleet day quals in type
3. Initial Fleet night quals in type

Three different scenarios, with some different answers to your list of questions. As for me helping, forget #1 as I qual'd in a T-28 (prop) with only paddles (no lens, meatball etc.)
The difference between day/night quals is just that - day & night! :eek:
Let me know which to address, to respond to your questions.
BzB...800+ traps D/N in T-28, A-4B/C/E/F & C-1A

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
The difference between day/night quals is just that - day & night! :eek:
Let me know which to address, to respond to your questions.
BzB...800+ traps D/N in T-28, A-4B/C/E/F & C-1A

You flew the C-1?? Saw one on the Midway the other day.

As for me, I don't recall what I was thinking for my initial T-2C CQ. I remember coming down on a CASE II with the lead safe, 3 plane formation. This was off the coast of San Diego, USS Kitty Hawk, and the weather was right at 800', dipping down to 600' at times while in the pattern. It was raining a bit too and I thought, what the hell am I landing is this weather for? Little did I know that it would just get worse as we got to the fleet. I think I just didn't want to fail or die....or look bad :icon_smil I completed 3 days later and moved on to VAW-120 and flew the C-2. Found out that the COD is way harder to land than a T-2. The Thunder Pig was a beast.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bunk22

You flew the C-1?? Saw one on the Midway the other day.
The one you saw, was the one I flew. The only difference is that the modex 700 was 000 back in the early '70s. She was then & as you saw the other day "Easy Way Airlines". Pic is with my son Mike, when I was reunited with "Schoolboy 000" in Dec, '06 onboard our MIDWAY Museum. We had a lot of fun & RON'd in some fantastic oriental cities on the '71 & '72 combat cruises. Known as the COD SQUAD, our motto (& patch) was "Alone Unarmed & Afraid"!:eek:
BzB

Attachments

• C1A 700.jpg
    C1A 700.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 105
  • Dad-Mike2.jpg
    Dad-Mike2.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 158
  • Midway COD.jpg
    Midway COD.jpg
    644.3 KB · Views: 98

Rass

So i see you guys are AMAZING at dick jokes and vulgar humor!?!? It seems i have much to learn.

Teach me the ways.