• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Castro Missing at May Day...

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
1.) I used to work for NC Soft before going back to school, we launched a game called City of Heroes and one of the characters was named Statesman, I always thought it was an interesting name

2.) I like the connotation that it has regarding politics. Generally the Founding Fathers considered themselves to be statesman rather than politicians, as being called a politician was somewhat of an insult. Even though they were all just as political (especially Jefferson who claimed more than any one else to be above politics) as politicians today.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Fidel Castro? More like IN-Fidel Castro! Thank you, I'll be here all week.

Politics and logic aside, embargo = bad. Cuban Cigars = good.

Cuban Eight

Contributor
We are all quiet here in Miami because we know that not one damn thing is really going to change until Fidel dies for real this time. When he does die you can bet money that there's going to be a week long party here in Miami and every exiled Cuban is going to make a personal pilgrimage back to Cuba to specifically piss on that bastards grave.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
We are all quiet here in Miami because we know that not one damn thing is really going to change until Fidel dies for real this time. ....
You got THAT right!!! I want that bastard DEAD!!! :eek:

Then I'm gonna be on the first boat to Havana ... :)

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
<<<Close behind with a box of goodness...>>>

52-MC23.jpg

In all seriousness though...always wanted to go there. Here is hoping for a free Cuba sooner, rather than later.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
I can't imagine Raul is going to change much of anything, especially while Big Brother (literally) is still alive and peering over his shoulder.

Raul certainly seems to lack the cult of personality appeal of his brother however, so perhaps the people of Cuba will be less reluctant to speak up and demand change, but I am doubtful about that as well.

Our Cuban policy has done nothing to change, well, anything there in 50 years. I think we can use this transition as an opportunity to make some changes that would have caused us to lose face if they had been made under Fidel's regime. That too may have to wait until Fidel's death, but to continue our failed policy of embargo and isolation for another handful of decades seems ridiculous. I understand this won't be a popular answer to the American Cuban population (and I do understand why it would be a bitter, bitter pill for them to swallow), which is why it will probably never happen, but it might be nice if we could learn from our failures and make changes accordingly.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Raúl is a loser ... he has been something akin to an incompetent Corleone brother playing to Fidel's Michael Corleone ... i.e., the one who can't do too much as he is "controlled" by others -- all dedicated Communists who are not likely to go quietly into the night .... my $20 worth.

The only thing that will save Cuba is the Cuban people ...we can always hope ... :)

Brother
Raúl on the right front ...

fidelandraulfi1.jpg

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
I agree that ultimately, it is up to the Cuban people to usher in serious change, but there are certainly things we can do to help. And that's the approach we took/are taking in Iraq, so why are we so unwilling to do the same for Cuba? Could it possibly still be the sting of Bay of Pigs?

We are willing to trade and play nice with the Chinese, for Dog's sake, and not the Cubans?!?! I understand that China has a lot more potential consumers of our goods and more cheap labor we can use to apply the pretty lead paint to our toys, but I'd like to believe that that isn't enough to dictate policy. We can make a metric ton of money of the Chinese so we'll trade with them, but Cubans are poor and there aren't very many of them so let's embargo them. Is that really the explanation? It makes no sense that our policies are so damn inconsistent.

The Cubans are not a threat to us. Allowing me to go dive there and relax with a mojito and a cigar isn't suddenly going to renergize the Communist movement. If anything, seeing American freedoms (and dollars), and taking away Fidel/Raul's ability to play the martyr who is standing up to the mean American's oppression might embolden and inspire the Cuban people. I can't see what harm it will do.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
So what happens when both Castro brothers are dead? Viva la revolucion?

Quite possibly. There is no heir apparent to Raul, who is well in to his 70's. Even if he were to designate a successor, his lack of credibility and charisma make it quite possible that his choice won't be widely accepted and the dueling factions will emerge. No one questioned the great Fidel's selection but it wouldn't be surprising if they didn't give the same respect to Raul's pick, should he make one.

From there, hopefully the Cuban people will step up and have a significant say in the direction of their country. Likewise, hopefully we will stay out of it. That seems unlikely, unfortunately, but a girl can dream.

voodooqueen

DAR Lapsarian
I dance salsa with the Cubans around here, and they all seem to be resigned to Raul stepping in and maintaining the status quo. They seem to think that both brothers will need to be dead before there is a chance for a truly free Cuba. (It would be nice if Raul turned out to be less of a psycho than his brother--the really good dancers are still over there.)