• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

change of plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayo-k

hello everyone. i have just one question to ask and would appreciate any feedback from any of you guys if possible. is there any way to back out once you sign on the dotted line and swear in or are you in for good? The reason i ask is because i have already sworn in and signed the contract but some family issues have just come up and i may need to change my plans about joining the Navy shortly. Once again thanks for any feedback and take care.

rhollin1

I recommend you call your recruiter. He might give you the run around so be prepared for that. I think you can back out as long as you haven't finished OCS.

Pain...is weakness leaving the body

gsavy10

I'm going to have to agree with Rhollin. If you can quit anytime before OCS graduation without a commitment, then why couldn't you quit now? Just a thought.

marti

I agree. You should not have to go if you don't want to. The recruiter may try to give some scare tactic to get you to go, but that's only because it is his job to keep you around once you've been selected.

It is different for officers but did you know that if you enlist in the military you basically have a 6 month get out free card. Yep, if you decide within the first 6 months that it's not for you then you can get out for an inabibility to conform.

FlyGirl

Kayo-K,

I had a friend who had a family situation and backed out of the DEP for naval OCS. He later entered the navy by ROTC when timing was much better.

I also have an ill father and was told that if anything was to change to notify my recruiter...but luckily everything has gone smoothly and I expect him to be in good health when I leave for OCS and later commission. But I was also told NOT to back out unless I totally knew I could not go to OCS. (It's too hard to reapply and get back into the program and then you might have to wait another year or so..) The only other option would be to do what that other person did on this board....switch for a later date with someone if possible and it might give you enough time to work through your problems, then if not, I still think you can back out again. (??) Ask your recruiter....

Anyhow, that's my 2 cents

kayo-k

Thanks everyone for the replies, I appreciate them greatly. I talked to my recruiter yesterday and he said he will have an answer for me on Friday. I wish everyone well and take care.

grouch

Sorry to hear about that kayo. I think you can cut and run if you need to. What were you going in as?

clintdcamp

I agree with everyone else. I do believe you will encounter some friction at first, though. The bottom line is I don't think the Navy would want to fill a position if they know that you aren't 100% ready for OCS.

solenita72

SWO Wife
It depends of the program. My husband's program does not allow you to back out reguardless. We looked into it due to medical issues with me. His was BDCP.

ghost_ttu

I just want your pilot slot that you are leaving behind.....

"praying to the SNA board gods couldn't hurt...."

ghost_ttu

I'm in week 6 of waiting. No word. And I've already been instructed that if I were to find something out and not tell everyone I will be killed. Myself, I think it would be humorous to get accepted and wait a month or so to share that information. Others said that wouldn't be as funny as I think it would be.

"praying to the SNA board gods couldn't hurt...."

Status
Not open for further replies.