• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Charlotte flyover costs AF pilots

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When are people going to learn? There is an extraordinary amount of scrutiny for these events. 99.9% of the people in that stadium are going to be impressed with 1000 ft/300 kts. Stupid.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
It wasn't even for a scheduled flyover, it was just a last minute request. It's fun to fly low and fast but someone is always going to find out.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's even worse. I presume whatever the USAF equivalent of a FNAEB is underway.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Whatever happened to the guy in the f18 who buzzed Berkeley? Or was it Stanford. Whatever. Did he get to keep his wings and stay flying?

danpass

Whatever happened to the guy in the f18 who buzzed Berkeley? Or was it Stanford. Whatever. Did he get to keep his wings and stay flying?
These guys perhaps?

http://deadspin.com/5497591/fighter-jet-flyover-threatens-thrills-thousands
Or, for a simpler explanation, both pilots were Georgia Tech grads.

Either way, the result was a spate of awesome YouTube videos:

Another:
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/navy-pilots-busted-for-low-flyover.35234/
The results are tough for sure, but they broke the rules and got a proper punishment for what they did,” said the senior Navy official, who asked not to be named because he was not authorized to speak on the matter. “It may seem tough, but it’s a safety issue and the admiral made the right call.
Not authorized to speak......... I wonder if he got disciplined.

While 1k above the highest obstacle within 2k feet of you is the regulation it doesn't work for flyovers, unless you're B-2 bomber. That was something I could easily recognize from my seat.

A little fighter plane, even four in a diamond which is how Homestead often does it with F-16s, 1k above the Dolphin Miami stadium (or whatever it's called this year) was just an outline in the sky, making a little noise, and leaving most people around me wondering if they were F-15, F-16, F-18 or something else. The whole twin tail / single tail thing is what you could hear people explaining to other people in the crowd.

500ft/200kts over the stadium, waivered specifically for the flyover portion, seems reasonable. KNOWING they've flown over the stadium has a much bigger impact than hearing people say 'Neat, look up there. You think they came around to see the game? I wonder where those guys are going." lol

Last edited:

Treetop Flyer

pilot
These guys perhaps?

http://deadspin.com/5497591/fighter-jet-flyover-threatens-thrills-thousands

Another:
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/navy-pilots-busted-for-low-flyover.35234/

Not authorized to speak......... I wonder if he got disciplined.

While 1k above the highest obstacle within 2k feet of you is the regulation it doesn't work for flyovers, unless you're B-2 bomber. That was something I could easily recognize from my seat.

A little fighter plane, even four in a diamond which is how Homestead often does it with F-16s, 1k above the Dolphin Miami stadium (or whatever it's called this year) was just an outline in the sky, making a little noise, and leaving most people around me wondering if they were F-15, F-16, F-18 or something else. The whole twin tail / single tail thing is what you could hear people explaining to other people in the crowd.

500ft/200kts over the stadium, waivered specifically for the flyover portion, seems reasonable. KNOWING they've flown over the stadium has a much bigger impact than hearing people say 'Neat, look up there. You think they came around to see the game? I wonder where those guys are going." lol
200kts in an F-16 or any jet is dangerously slow

danpass

250kts is fine with me, 400kts with an abrupt transition to the vertical would be fantastic.

200 was for those who jump at shadows. After all, bureaucrats gonna bureau.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
250kts is fine with me, 400kts with an abrupt transition to the vertical would be fantastic.

200 was for those who jump at shadows. After all, bureaucrats gonna bureau.
You won't see any jets do a flyover at 200 or 250. 300 is about the slowest you can call safe

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If that's the case I think it is, the guy was actually under IFR control the whole time, but a bunch of hippie snowflakes whined about feeling "threatened." So the poor bastard still got fried.

Didn't he end up getting A(1) or A(3) in the end?

Python

pilot
Contributor

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think it was addressed in the original thread on his flyover that he got his next set of flying orders after a little while.