• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

China's Concrete Carrier

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So basically they're trying to see how a second hand 1950s French carrier is operated... wouldn't they have done better to study their friends in Russia?

The basics are still the same, they gotta start somewhere.

Here are some pics of the ex-Varyag that is being worked on in China.

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
Concrete or not, they sure are launching some handsome surface combatants:

DDG-air.jpg

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
That's what you can do when you have cash money's to spend.

That's what you can do when you can say, "You: shipyard. Build me a bad ass surface combatant. And have it done in XX months."

Rather than have all the bigwigs debate it, cut funding for it, spread the funding around like a make-work stimulus program, etc.:icon_rage

Calculon

It's Calculon! Hit the deck!
That's what you can do when you can say, "You: shipyard. Build me a bad ass surface combatant. And have it done in XX months."

Rather than have all the bigwigs debate it, cut funding for it, spread the funding around like a make-work stimulus program, etc.:icon_rage

Reminds me of the high speed rail debate we're having in CA (the CA state one, as well as the LA to Vegas one). We've got to jump through all various groups, lobbys, etc. to get even a new(er) rail system down. At this rate, we'll be lucky to have even 300 miles of it by 2020. :icon_rage Last I saw, the Chinese were going to have some 20k km of it laid down by 2020.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They wish. China's not a DPRK-style absolutist state just because they call themselves Commies. The PRC has an elaborate, confused power structure with lots of rivalries and competing interests. The PLA (and PLAN and PLAAF) functions more like a combination of labor union, coporation and political party than the "politically neutral, obedient to civilian leadership professionals" military we know and love. Biggest difference is that they're good at keeping internal debate seriously internal, and the populace doesn't expect to have a say in whatever the State decides to do. China's been an authoritarian state damn near literally since time began.

Anyway...you can declare that you're building a sexy new Navy, even build one on demand, but it's a whole 'nother thing to make it work and know what to do with it. Especially when it comes to carrier flight ops. When the Chinese first announced they were buying Varyag, some wise fellow (I forget who, ADM Jay Johnson maybe), said something to the effect of, 'they can have at it; it took us 50 years to learn how to do it without killing ourselves'.

Flugelman

Contributor
My first thought on ChiCom carrier ops:

Yellow shirt gets blown overboard...

Get another one from below decks, continue ops... Screw a bunch of man overboard drills.:eek:

Flugelman

Contributor
If you're not on a gov't computer you can login with your social/name/birthday. I'm not sure if that's new or if I was just too dense last time I tried to get into earlybird from home. :(

Interesting story though.

Thanks but I don't think I qualify as retired...

"If you are an active-duty U.S. Servicemember, activated Guard or Reserve member, or DOD civilian employee, you may access the Early Bird ..."

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
My first thought on ChiCom carrier ops:

Yellow shirt gets blown overboard...

Get another one from below decks, continue ops... Screw a bunch of man overboard drills.:eek:

Haha I had a very similar thought. Why waste the gas on one bubba when there are a billion more back home to replace him.

FlyinRock

Ahhhh..... Better check your history...

How about the fixed wing carriers operated by Canada (3 -- 1946 until 1970), France (fixed-wing carriers from 1927 to the present), Argentina (2 -- 1959 to 1999), Brazil (2 -- 1960 to present) and Australia (3 -- 1948 to 1982)?

Wiki Clicky
From USMC NLOAD
Western WY?
Ahhhh, Evanston, Kemmerer, Daniel, Pindale, Big Piney, Bondurant, I worked that whole area as a kid ranch hand. Yee Haww. what memories
Semper Fi
Rocky