• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

China's new (future) A/C carrier

schwarti

Contributor
Still - scary that China's developing a true blue-water navy. Before this, their global capabilities were much more limited...

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Be afraid when they modernize their amphibs...When China builds a way to get this...
RedChineseArmy.jpeg

here....
300px-Taiwan_Strait.png

I'll get worried.

BigIron, thanks for the link. Looking at their J-10, I don't know much about specs, but from a purely aesthetic POV it looks like they "borrowed" extensively from our -16...The dorsal spine on their 2-seat version is similar to Block 60 16's, the canards and 'cranked arrow'-ish wings could go back to the early F-16XL--not to mention the gaping intake. 'Course, it's been "Communized" which ups the gay-factor of how the jet's going to look (Mig-29/Su-27 notwithstanding)...Just pointing out the obvious, I s'pose. Does anyone know if it'll have same/better capabilities?

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
BigIron, thanks for the link. Looking at their J-10, I don't know much about specs, but from a purely aesthetic POV it looks like they "borrowed" extensively from our -16...The 'dorsal spine' on their 2-seat version is similar to Block 60 16's, the canards and 'cranked arrow'-ish wings could go back to the early F-16XL--not to mention the gaping intake...Just pointing out the obvious, I s'pose. Does anyone know if it'll have same/better capabilities?

From the articles and documents I've read, U.S. experts believe it will be on par with the F-16. I haven't been fortunate enough to come across anything more specific than that.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Still - scary that China's developing a true blue-water navy. Before this, their global capabilities were much more limited...

Mearsheimer has been preaching this for quite a while as part of China's bid for regional hegemony as well as the fact that we need to take appropriate measures to prevent this occurence.

schwarti

Contributor
A few years back, I saw a Chinese dissident named Harry Wu speak - he'd been in a laogai for many, many years as a political prisoner. One of the things he talked about was how a lot of American money ends up going towards buying and developing naval weapons systems that have been designed to match American systems. Something interesting to think about, anyway, since they're one of the few nations with the resources to support a large, modern military.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
BigIron, thanks for the link. Looking at their J-10, I don't know much about specs, but from a purely aesthetic POV it looks like they "borrowed" extensively from our -16...The dorsal spine on their 2-seat version is similar to Block 60 16's, the canards and 'cranked arrow'-ish wings could go back to the early F-16XL--not to mention the gaping intake. 'Course, it's been "Communized" which ups the gay-factor of how the jet's going to look (Mig-29/Su-27 notwithstanding)...Just pointing out the obvious, I s'pose. Does anyone know if it'll have same/better capabilities?

Actually it has a lot more in common with the Israeli Lavi, which was based on the F-16 (and funded mostly with American dollars). :(

Lavi

LAVI-2.jpg

F-10

j10a.jpg

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

They have got a long, long way to go........Building a carrier is not the only piece in creating a viable carrier battle group. It will take years of training and doctrinal development for a carrier strike force to become a weapon they can utilize. The Soviets worked on carrier development for almost 30 years and they only rolled a real one out in the very late 80's and their tactics and training never caught up to it. The Kuznetsov is nothing but a showpiece they cruise around in every few years.

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
I remember somewhat recently there was a news story regarding the catching of a Chinese person for buying F-16 engines (and other aviation-related materials) and shipping them back to China to be reverse-engineered. On a similar note, I hear our aegis system works well in their destroyers...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I remember somewhat recently there was a news story regarding the catching of a Chinese person for buying F-16 engines (and other aviation-related materials) and shipping them back to China to be reverse-engineered. On a similar note, I hear our aegis system works well in their destroyers...

I think you heard wrong.......

Give them a little credit, they are a nation of over a billion people. They can come up with their own toys occasionally........

snake020

Contributor
There was an E-Bird story a couple weeks ago discussing how this wasn't in line with China's typical asymmetrical warfare tactics (jamming or shooting down GPS, using diesel subs to sink large carriers) and in the long run they might get more than they bargained for getting a carrier.

MasterBates

Just a thing to keep in mind.

The Chinese, along with most Oriental cultures think LONG term. What we THINK is long term planning, is just mid-term planning to them.

When you think of it, their culture has been around for something like 4000 years or more. (Depending on what dynasty you pick to "start" chinese culture)