• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Chinese Sub collides with US Sonar Array

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
I was on the McCain back for my summer cruise a few years back. Was a good ship and had a good time, though I'm sure the skipper there is gone now. I think they got the battle E shortly after I left.

Some nice trivia for you. McCain's side number is 56, the Tacan at McCain Field? 56

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I was on the McCain back for my summer cruise a few years back. Was a good ship and had a good time, though I'm sure the skipper there is gone now. I think they got the battle E shortly after I left.

Some nice trivia for you. McCain's side number is 56, the Tacan at McCain Field? 56

Cool story Drob....do you have time to tell it to us again?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Cool story Drob....do you have time to tell it to us again?

Why don't you just go puke up some dip, you know you have the time.

Get a room guys! We don't need your lover's spats playing out on AW. And remember, it still is don't ask don't tell.........

P.S. I can't tell from your avatars, who is the b___?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
My point is that the guys following are responsible for avoiding collision. A ship can't get a CBDR on a sub it doesn't know is there... And I'd bet SOP following something in the baffles on a towed sonar hit would be to slow down and take a better listen.

Just my uneducated 2 cents, but maybe you can clue me in on some swo knowledges you've got...

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/mwv/navrules/rules/Rule07.htm

Bonko

Final Select SNA (Sept 13th)
My point is that the guys following are responsible for avoiding collision. A ship can't get a CBDR on a sub it doesn't know is there... And I'd bet SOP following something in the baffles on a towed sonar hit would be to slow down and take a better listen.

Just my uneducated 2 cents, but maybe you can clue me in on some swo knowledges you've got...

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/mwv/navrules/rules/Rule07.htm
I agree with here, I imagine it would be very hard for the John McCain to have moved the Array into the subs path since the Sub was following. I am sure the Chinese didn't mean to hit it but if this were a car accident I don't think anyone would be wondering whose fault it was.

Why assume it was the fault of the Chinese?
Because my country right or wrong is still my country and I will back her 100% The Navy says it was the Chinese fault, in this case I won't question her. :D

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My point is that the guys following are responsible for avoiding collision......

Do you know who was following who?

I honestly don't know who was responsible for the 'collision', I am just trying to point out that the Chinese may not be at fault here. I imagine one of the last things a sub skipper wants to run into is a big long wire that could wrap around his tail and screw his little cruise up real quick, he might not have known anything was out there. In reality no one may be at fault, this is an unfortunate 'side effect' of two navies shadow boxing at sea. You only have to look at all the bumps that happened between us and the Russians in the Cold War, and those are the ones we know about.

And again, it is not like our track record for not running into things recently is all that great.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor

And again, it is not like our track record for not running into things recently is all that great.

Nah, I don't know who was following who. It seemed reasonable to assume a towed array would be behind :), and a ship streaming one would be less maneuverable than a sub tracking (if thats what he's back there doing)... Agree that the sub CO definitely doesn't wanna get tangled up in one, too.

I think we can all take away that the damn Shoes do silly things with their billion dollar boats.

SkywardET

Contrarian

I honestly don't know who was responsible for the 'collision', I am just trying to point out that the Chinese may not be at fault here. I imagine one of the last things a sub skipper wants to run into is a big long wire that could wrap around his tail and screw his little cruise up real quick, he might not have known anything was out there. In reality no one may be at fault, this is an unfortunate 'side effect' of two navies shadow boxing at sea. You only have to look at all the bumps that happened between us and the Russians in the Cold War, and those are the ones we know about.

A reasonable position, but this situation does have further implications, such as the credibility of the "super silent"-ness of diesel subs. Either the sub snuck up and ran into the tail, or... It's really impossible to tell based on that poorly written and scant report. It'll be fun to find out a more complete picture, if and when it comes to light.