• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Chinese Sub collides with US Sonar Array

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
The more things change....
victor3-DNSN8704298.JPG

Towed array of a Knox-Class FF in a Victor III back in the day...

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Some nice trivia for you. McCain's side number is 56, the Tacan at McCain Field? 56

Also, the number of days of the year that the navaid actually works...

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

That was pretty famous...we launched a TARPS jet to catch the embarassing moment not too far off the coast. It got pretty crowded overhead as anyone who could get there with an ISR sensor moved in to "collect" what they could....their "local" AGI eventually tried to protect them and help out

thumb.aspx

Yeehaw....

victor_iii_class_sub_surfaced_off_north_carolina_-_nov__83_001.jpg

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
victor3-DNSN8704298.JPG

Nice of them to show us their screw out of the water. :D I remember flapping on an Oscar II that was broke and transiting on the surface back in my VP days. Douche bags scooped up one of our DIFAR buoys and brought it inside the fucking sub while it was still transmitting. Thanks for the ACINT! You could hear the Soviet deck seaman getting yelled at right before the signal went dead. I wonder if they ever realized the magnitude of their error. :D

Brett

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Nice of them to show us their screw out of the water. :D I remember flapping on an Oscar II that was broke and transiting on the surface back in my VP days. Douche bags scooped up one of our DIFAR buoys and brought it inside the fucking sub while it was still transmitting. Thanks for the ACINT! You could hear the Soviet deck seaman getting yelled at right before the signal went dead. I wonder if they ever realized the magnitude of their error. :D

Brett

I think I've heard a tape of that cut...fucking priceless!