• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Civ Land or NFO???

Should I stay or should I go?

• Navy

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Civilian

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

halfbreed83

First off, I'd like to thank all of you on this site that have posted and given some invaluable insight to things from the application to retiring as an aviator.

Second, I submitted an OCS package as a 10 year active duty nuke MM. However, due to how long it was taking to get results and my somewhat-quickly approaching EAOS, I was also doing my best to prepare for the transition to civilian life for my family and me. (I was going to separate if not selected for commission).

Here in lies the rub....fast-forward a couple of months to now: I accepted a job offer and am set to begin work tomorrow and, as life would have it, just received my Pro-Rec for SNFO. I am currently waiting to find out if my medical portion is approved but there were no issues with the physical (outside of a dermatology medication thing that was cleared) so I don't expect there to be any issues.

I am looking for some genuine advice from both lifers and those who served their minimum in the aviation field. As I'm potentially going as a SNFO, those who have "been there, done that" would probably have the most applicable information, but, again, I will gladly accept any guidance. Thank you in advance.

Further information that may be of use:

-I need to make a decision within a couple of days as I separate within the week
-I have no contract with the new company, however, I will be paying back some fees as they are covering my HHG move as well as flights for my wife and I
-I highly desire a commission in the aviation community, but I would have to re-enlist to ensure I had enough time on my contract to make it through OCS to commissioning (I have already extended twice: once to get to shore duty and twice due to excessively low manning I volunteered to stay in 6 months passed my original EAOS).

Sorry for the long-winded post, but I wanted to get as much info out there as I possibly could. Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Potential SNFO
YOU HAVE 10 IN AND 10 MORE TO GO!! That is for full medical/dental/travel and half your annual base pay for the rest of your life if you were to retire. That's at worst 2 sea rotations which may be 2 deployments per sea duty which is a total of 4 deployments till retire-able time in (20 years)

Renegade One

None
YOU HAVE 10 IN AND 10 MORE TO GO!! That is for full medical/dental/travel and half your annual base pay for the rest of your life if you were to retire. That's at worst 2 sea rotations which may be 2 deployments per sea duty which is a total of 4 deployments till retire-able time in (20 years)
Does it still require 10-years commissioned service to retire at O-paygrade?

JCF

Haha. I can see you're passionate about the retirement option. I appreciate it. And you make an excellent point...thanks for the breakdown of potential rotation/deployment schedule.

Does it still require 10-years commissioned service to retire at O-paygrade?

Yes. To retire you still must have been commissioned for 10 years (if 10 years had been served enlisted)

I believe its the last 3 years of the rank your at is the rank you retire at. but don't quote me its only hear say

You are also correct in that O retirement, upon completion of my 10years O service (on top of the prior 10 years E service) is dependent upon the last 3 years of service.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
You might as well, since NFO is Wings + 6, by the time the obligation is up, you'll be like three years away from retirement. But that's your choice, and it's one you don't have to make for at least six years.