• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Civvy Cobras?

macattack

So was flying out of Tallahassee today (where there was a USMC Herk practicing takeoffs and landings several times) and could've sworn I spotted two AH-1's in civilian colors parked in the general aviation area. Do civilians actually operate these, or could they have just been static display?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
There are a couple old models in private hands. The US Forest Service also owns several that they use for forest fire recon and command and control. One of them was flying out of S. Whiting for a while, as I remember.

KBayDog

phrogdriver said:
One of them was flying out of S. Whiting for a while, as I remember.

Still is. It landed in housing a while back for a Fire Prevention Week display. As it circled my house at 50', I realized that I would probably crap myself if the "real thing" was circling above, preparing to rain death down on me. Even the Forest Service verision is intimidating!

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
KBayDog said:
Still is. It landed in housing a while back for a Fire Prevention Week display. As it circled my house at 50', I realized that I would probably crap myself if the "real thing" was circling above, preparing to rain death down on me. Even the Forest Service verision is intimidating!

California Department of Forestry and USFS "FireWatch Cobra" Project

d22e408d-b502-4a23-a933-573b24878b02.jpg

173520969fBBvly_ph.jpg

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
ChuckMK23 said:
California Department of Forestry and USFS "FireWatch Cobra" Project

d22e408d-b502-4a23-a933-573b24878b02.jpg

173520969fBBvly_ph.jpg

That's a pretty good idea. As well as the OV-10s mentioned above, they also have old S-2 trackers that they use as water/retardant bombers.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
AllAmerican75 said:
That's a pretty good idea. As well as the OV-10s mentioned above, they also have old S-2 trackers that they use as water/retardant bombers.

S-2 = "Stoof"

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The list of birds the government owns and/or contracts for firefighting is long and sometimes bizarre. Old Neptunes, Electras, Hercs. Cool old birds, but sometimes disturbingly old. Last year one firefighting bird suffered complete structural failure in flight and broke up. That was caught on film, if someone wants to look it up. My favorite, though, is the 747 one company has modded to dump fire retardant agent. That is a butt-ton of payload.

KBayDog

phrogdriver said:
Last year one firefighting bird suffered complete structural failure in flight and broke up. That was caught on film, if someone wants to look it up.

Here you go:

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
KBayDog said:

I thought the same thing when it flew over my place off 89. Its certainly louder than the TH-57.