• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Close to wings but thinking about switching communities

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
but the potential for adventure and real cultural enrichment is very much there.
I was only there for a 6 month 31st MEU det, but enjoyed my time. Wish I would have explored the island more, definitely.

Is the banana show lady still performing off of BC street? 😆

Mouselovr

Contributor
There's a current guy in helo advance who switched mid-jet syllabus.
He told me he was miserable in jets but tried to push through. A couple of failures led to a CO PC where they deemed him a good dude and approved his request to switch to rotary.

Guy is much happier and enjoys the culture in wop wop land.

So it does happen, but he was a ways from winging.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
He told me he was miserable in jets but tried to push through. A couple of failures led to a CO PC where they deemed him a good dude and approved his request to switch to rotary.

Miserable and struggling in jets makes more sense than seeking a more desirable location to park your bed and TV for 5 months of workups and a 7 10-month deployment.

Skywalker

Naval Aviator
If this is who I think it is, you've established a reputation for wanting to quit jets long before you posted here. Not sure why you didn't speak up before going to strike det. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. Take your licks and give the Navy a sea tour before trying to switch - you do not want the Navy to ask your peers and IPs their opinion of you right now.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
If this is who I think it is, you've established a reputation for wanting to quit jets long before you posted here. Not sure why you didn't speak up before going to strike det. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. Take your licks and give the Navy a sea tour before trying to switch - you do not want the Navy to ask your peers and IPs their opinion of you right now.
It’s like switching from OU to Texas! Who would do that?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor

I know a Maríne jet student who wasn’t happy in Kingsville. Similar situation, asked to be transferred into something easier… ended up in finance. YMMV.

Hey all,

I am in jet advanced and very close to my wings, but have been having some major thoughts about trying to switch communities. It is a thought I have had for most of the syllabus but since I am near completing its something really consuming my thoughts. I am torn because flying jets was a dream for me.

Some of the flying I just don't enjoy. Some I do. And talking to friends ahead of me, I realize things get more tactical, harder, and much more fast paced. Don't get me wrong, I love flying the jet most of the time. I am thinking the VAQ community would be better for me for these reasons. However, talking to helicopter or tilt friends I have major FOMO in a weird way. The VFA/VAQ community just arguably has a massive lack of quality of life and I am wondering if anyone regrets not thinking about that more while they still could. Not to mention the lack of shore duty opportunities if you prioritize nicer duty stations over flying.

I know I will get flamed, and I know every community in Naval Aviation is challenging and hard work. But you have to admit living in San Diego and having an appropriate amount of JOs in your squadron could be very nice. I'd like to hear from people who have had similar helpful thoughts and not those who are just trying to flame a student. This is a large part of my life that I am stuck doing and I am thankful I am having these thoughts while I can change my course still.

I’d guess that mid flight school community switches are extremely rare and you need to decide whether to be a Naval Aviator or not. If the idea of lemoore is causing misery, there are ways to alleviate that issue, ( VAQ, VFA Pri A to FDNF, take non flying orders etc.) eventually. As much as I like San Diego, I probably wouldn’t make career choices over the potential opportunity (not a sure thing even in helos) to live there… I’d probably just move there when life allowed it. You can still spend about 70% of your aviation career in San Diego by GTFO asap and moving there to life while being an airline pilot (Lotsa companies you’d want to work for have a LAX base within driving distance).

Unfortunately, quality of life during a fleet tour is an illusion regardless of community. Each has their own unique things that fuck you over. Every boat fairing community has a plethora of pointless underway periods for the boat donkies. Ground jobs take a bunch of time if you do them.

Roger_Waveoff

pilot
Unfortunately, quality of life during a fleet tour is an illusion regardless of community. Each has their own unique things that fuck you over. Every boat fairing community has a plethora of pointless underway periods for the boat donkies. Ground jobs take a bunch of time if you do them.
Over 4 years stationed in San Diego and other than COVID Summer 2020, I have yet to enjoy a full summer here. Could be a lot worse, but this point warrants a footstomp. It’s more your spouse and kids who benefit from a high QOL, “desirable” duty station.

Last edited:

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

oh my lawd brother, leave this to the pub crawl with the other IPs. I am sure you are right, but the internet is forever.

Aeroshell

Dude, it’s no secret who you are. Talking down to some guy with struggled thoughts on the internet, nice man. Hope there’s people there for you when you are struggling. That’s all I’ll say on that. No need to stoop that low.

croakerfish

pilot
Stab stab look stab.

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
Saying this about your fellow SNA is not a good look, dude.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor

Been done with flight school for about 10 minutes, already gunning to become PERS-43 Actual…

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
Be good at your job, be good at upgrading, and be good in the wardroom.

The later goes both ways. You can easily say nothing as much as you can say something. Weirdly, if flight school is competitive then I’d think you’d silently hope someone would leave to thin the herd.