• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CNN and AP: Kim Jong Il dead

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I doubt it'll take the form of a Rogue NK General doing his best Al Haig impression on NKTV, but there are going to be some power struggles. KJI didn't have enough time to cement KJU in place as his successor - 3 years as opposed to the 14 he had before KIS keeled over. Plus, apparently part of the delay was to keep all the factions backing one son or general or another off balance.

But even if there are no power sturggles, the danger then becomes the DPRK trying to start another incident to burnish the "Great Successor"'s credentials or get the other generals to fall in line. The rumor is that was the impetous behind the sinking of the ROK corvette last year and shelling Yeonpyeong Island. The difficulty is that the ROK government is under enormous pressure for not responding to those provocations, and I don't think politically they could afford to let another one slide.

jmcquate

Contributor
Chang Song-taek, who is Kim Jong-il’s brother-in-law has most likely been running the show for a while. He will make sure that nothing changes when the kid takes over. I hope the White House and State don't make the mistake of reaching out.....because it will get the same results as all of the other attemps

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
It'll be interesting to watch, none the less.I do agree that there won't be too much of a "power struggle". There's an image to protect, and nK will do what it feels necessary to protect that image.

My favorite quote in all of this was Kim Jong Un's former "classmate": "He was a good guy, really into basketball. I can't see him doing anything too bad."

Bubba thinks he'll eat those words.

GroundPounder

[quote="
My favorite quote in all of this was Kim Jong Un's former "classmate": "He was a good guy, really into basketball. I can't see him doing anything too bad."

Bubba thinks he'll eat those words.[/quote]

If his classmate was from NK, words might be all he would have had to eat all winter.

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
How about this timing?!?!?!

Reuters.com
December 19, 2011
Pentagon Hails Japan's F-35 Order

By Andrea Shalal-Esa, Reuters
WASHINGTON -- The Pentagon office that runs the Lockheed Martin Corp on Monday hailed news that Japan had selected the F-35 as its next generation fighter and said it would help strengthen partnerships with Japan.
"The F-35 Program Office looks forward to strengthening partnerships with Japan, and contributing to enhanced security throughout the Asia Pacific region," the office said in a statement after Japan announced its decision.
Japan is the second country besides Israel to order the F-35 under the U.S. government's foreign military sales program. Lockheed is developing three variants of the radar-evading fighter for the United States and eight partner countries: Britain, Italy, Netherlands, Turkey, Canada, Australia, Denmark and Norway, which have contributed to its development cost.
The F-35 program office said Japan's requirement was for 40-50 new fighters, and the initial letter of agreement will include four conventional takeoff and landing (CTOL) aircraft to be delivered in 2016 with an eighth batch of low-rate initial production planes.
The F-35 will be operated in the Asia Pacific region by U.S. forces, as well as the Royal Australian Air Force, Japan and partner nations involved in multinational military operations.
Japan's selection of the F-35 will allow Japan's air force to operate with the United States and other partner nations, ensuring the future of cooperative deterrence and regional security, the Pentagon office said.