• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COD Gear Up Landing

McLovin

In the spirit of gear up landing videos, here is a good one showing the Cod landing with gear problems...happened a couple years back at NGU..

Sorry just noticed this video as a repost.....

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Already knew it wouldn't be a problem landing gear up in a COD. A former CO of VRC-40 (prior to being CO) landed one gear up inadvertently in the early 90's. Plane was still flying with VAW-120 as of a few years ago. It had the CO's first name painted on the end of the ramp, Paula.

Flugelman

Contributor
Of course they have a AF Puke commenting on it in the news..

What's a restraining cable?

Also, did you catch the "Could have had the crew jump out and land it by himself." bit? Glad I never had to ride the COD if they use the PAX to lighten the load...:icon_rage

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I'm guessing that the right engine was secured IOT save the prop and gearboxes on at least one side? It appeared that it was stopped on that side.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Yeah...I thought that too...but did you notice that once the aircraft was stopped on deck that the left prop kept spinning anyway? It didn't look like the props hit. No sparks or anything.

Maybe the engine was secured in preparation for a quick egress by the pilots. Hate to get chopped up coming out the scuttles.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Secure the right prop prior to landing so that if it does hit the ground, it doesn't launch through the fuselage due to the direction of turn. The prop will continue to turn for just a bit when shut down as well. The pilots can elect to go through the overhead hatches, MEH or the ramp/emergency exit. There are also two ditching hatches in the rear. If the pilots elect to out of the MEH, they need to ensure the port prop has stopped turning. Unlike the E-2, the COD's MEH is forward of the prop. Like I said, a COD had landed belly up before, it was known the props wouldn't hit the ground....the belly is basically flat.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Of course they have a AF Puke commenting on it in the news..

What's a restraining cable?

Agreed that it was a huge mistake to have an AF guy on there. He said another one of the pilots options would have been to have all the passengers strap on parachutes and jump out of the plane. The absolute ONLY TIME there will ever be parachutes onboard a COD is for an FCF, period!

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Reporters commenting on aviation = festival of ignorance and stupidity. Makes me wonder how applicable this is to other people's jobs as well.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Reporters commenting on aviation = festival of ignorance and stupidity. Makes me wonder how applicable this is to other people's jobs as well.

Don't you love eye witness reports when there is breaking news regarding some aviation incident. If they interview 4 bystanders, one will say it was a plane crash, another will say a helicopter crash, one will say a plane crashed into a helicopter, and the last guy will say it was a blimp crash. I really wish they wouldn't put those people on the air during their live coverage. If there happens to be a pilot standing around or something fine, but do not leave it to the general public!

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Secure the right prop prior to landing so that if it does hit the ground, it doesn't launch through the fuselage due to the direction of turn. .

It looks as if both props turn inward. Is this just a matter of cutting the risk by 50%?

East

东部
Contributor
Aircrew

Good to see a good landing with a faulty gear.
Credits for the cockpit crew.

Did anyone notice/mentioned the Aircrewman, who evacuates the most valuable load after the landing?

navy09

None
Did you notice that one pilot hauling ass away from the plane to save himself, then sheepishly walking back to make sure the pax all got out when the other pilot stayed behind- good stuff :D