• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cohabitation?

soyeah

So I know artical 134 of the UCMJ talks about cohabitation and says it's not allowed if the couple is 'presenting' as married. What exactly does that mean and how are we supposed to interpret this article? Is cohabitaing with your partner still enforced these days?
It would seem unfair since 0-1 and 0-2 live together all the time in flight school. Just curious if anyone has any thoughts or experience on this topic...

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
934. ART. 134. GENERAL ARTICLE

Though not specifically mentioned in this chapter, all disorders and neglects to the prejudice of good order and discipline in the armed forces, all conduct of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces, and crimes and offenses not capital, of which persons subject to this chapter may be guilty, shall be taken cognizance of by a general, special or summary court-martial, according to the nature and degree of the offense, and shall be punished at the discretion of that court.

Article 134 doesn't say crap about cohabitation. That said, it's probably not a big deal. You'll have to maintain bachelor quarters, and you'll be "that guy/girl" around work. Your unit can also pretty much MAKE you stay in your Q if they want to.

...Have fun with that.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
934. ART. 134. GENERAL ARTICLE

Though not specifically mentioned in this chapter, all disorders and neglects to the prejudice of good order and discipline in the armed forces, all conduct of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces, and crimes and offenses not capital, of which persons subject to this chapter may be guilty, shall be taken cognizance of by a general, special or summary court-martial, according to the nature and degree of the offense, and shall be punished at the discretion of that court.

Article 134 doesn't say crap about cohabitation. That said, it's probably not a big deal. You'll have to maintain bachelor quarters, and you'll be "that guy/girl" around work. Your unit can also pretty much MAKE you stay in your Q if they want to.

...Have fun with that.
Yes it does:

Article 134 — (Cohabitation, wrongful)

Elements.

(1) That, during a certain period of time, the accused and another person openly and publicly lived together as husband and wife, holding themselves out as such;

(2) That the other person was not the spouse of the accused;

(3) That, under the circumstances, the conduct of the accused was to the prejudice of good order and discipline in the armed forces or was of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
So I know artical 134 of the UCMJ talks about cohabitation and says it's not allowed if the couple is 'presenting' as married. What exactly does that mean and how are we supposed to interpret this article? Is cohabitaing with your partner still enforced these days?
It would seem unfair since 0-1 and 0-2 live together all the time in flight school. Just curious if anyone has any thoughts or experience on this topic...
I don't know the answers to your questions, but if the phrase in bold is your perspective on the law and UCMJ you need to seriously think about what you are doing in the military.

EDIT: FYI it's O-1 & O-2.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Yes it does:

Article 134 — (Cohabitation, wrongful)

Elements.

(1) That, during a certain period of time, the accused and another person openly and publicly lived together as husband and wife, holding themselves out as such;

(2) That the other person was not the spouse of the accused;

(3) That, under the circumstances, the conduct of the accused was to the prejudice of good order and discipline in the armed forces or was of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces.

Damn Air Force website. I should have looked further.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Your chances of being punished for this are approximately ZERO. The key phrases are "holding themselves out as such," and "predjudice of good order and discipline." Unless you are introducing yourself as married in fact and somehow causing a ruckus in your command there will be no problem. Now, if you're cohabitating with a member of your command, there might be "good order and discipline" issues. If not, then this isn't 1942 and there will be no problem.

soyeah

I know my pay grades but thanks for being 'that guy' tonight...who really cares?

Anyways, we are in the same squadron and most people know about the relationship but don't know about the living situation. I just want to make sure I'm not violating anything before we submit the same address for the recall roster.

Taking advice...from kind individuals:)

soyeah

Additionally...has anyone even heard of this being enforced anywhere? Is this something that people just don't talk about because i know it's going on....?

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
I have known plenty of people living together and in a relationship. I don't think it becomes a problem unless in the same squadron (not a training squadron) and of different rank or one is a subordinate at work...

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know my pay grades but thanks for being 'that guy' tonight...who really cares?

Anyways, we are in the same squadron and most people know about the relationship but don't know about the living situation. I just want to make sure I'm not violating anything before we submit the same address for the recall roster.

Just gonna put it out there that it's probably not a good idea to mouth off to people that are helping you, especially when they probably (I say probably because your profile tells me jack about you) have much more experience than you. Just my .02

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Your chances of being punished for this are approximately ZERO. The key phrases are "holding themselves out as such," and "predjudice of good order and discipline." Unless you are introducing yourself as married in fact and somehow causing a ruckus in your command there will be no problem. Now, if you're cohabitating with a member of your command, there might be "good order and discipline" issues. If not, then this isn't 1942 and there will be no problem.

You'll probably never get busted for it. You'll probably never get busted for jaywalking or spitting on the sidewalk either. If you DO get busted, don't say that you weren't ever told.

In actuality, this is probably a "piling on" offense. By that I mean that if they are throwing the book at you for something else more serious they can just toss this in (along with other things like sodomy) just to amplify the punishment.

FYI it's O-1 & O-2

A professional officer identifies himself by rank, not paygrade. So It's Ensign and 1stLt, for example.

This ain't the air force.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor

I think you should be more concerned with the fraternization policy. Same command, same chain of command, you/they are the senior Officer/Enlisted? Remember, perception is reality and opinions of individuals can be swayed for better or worse quickly in a squadron. I guess only time will tell should you decide to make the living situation official on the recall roster.