• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cohabitation?

MasterBates

If you are a JG and she is an ENS in the same squadron and are roommates, with separate bedrooms, that is one thing.

If you are dating another officer in your command, you are playing with fire. ESPECIALLY if she is a live in girlfriend.

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
If you are a JG and she is an ENS in the same squadron and are roommates, with separate bedrooms, that is one thing.

If you are dating another officer in your command, you are playing with fire. ESPECIALLY if she is a live in girlfriend.

There was an O-1 and an O-2 in my primary squadron who were together, the squadron knew, it was totally OK. However to my knowledge they were not living together. However like the more senior O's say here, I would tread lightly.

- J

MasterBates

There is a bit of a difference in dating another person in the TRACOM while a student vs in a fleet unit. Maybe on paper there is not, but the perception is there.

Part of it is how do you expect people to make a clear judgment for "who goes on a mission where you may die" or something less serious. Part of the reason you don't find husband/wife teams in the same unit.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
There are army couples living together IN IRAQ! Although they are married.

We had two officers in my squadron who were dating (and post sea tour got married). The command sorta knew, but they kept everything so down low that most people never knew. Both of them were excellent officers. The command made sure to keep them out of a subordinate/superior type of CoC. Even on deployment they received (nor asked for) no special treatment in terms of keeping their respective crews at the same base. This has been the only example of O on O in a squadron that I saw go well.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've been in commands where both officers and enlisted people were married within the command. I know that now, you can't have two married people under the same reporting senior, but we had a couple in my first squadron who lived in the same room on deployment (VP style). Wasn't an issue and nobody seemed to care.

@ the OP: as long as there's not a senior/subordinate issue (and it doesn't sound like there is), nobody will care about who you bang or shack up with until you get to a fleet command. Enjoy it while it lasts. :D

Brett

SDNalgene

Blind. Continue...
pilot
When the charges come, I would love to hear an explanation along the lines of, "Hold ourselves out to be married? Sir, we just bump uglies. Don't worry sir, I have talked to MasterBates, I wouldn't even joke about being married."

Airyk17

There are army couples living together IN IRAQ! Although they are married.

We had two officers in my squadron who were dating (and post sea tour got married). The command sorta knew, but they kept everything so down low that most people never knew. Both of them were excellent officers. The command made sure to keep them out of a subordinate/superior type of CoC. Even on deployment they received (nor asked for) no special treatment in terms of keeping their respective crews at the same base. This has been the only example of O on O in a squadron that I saw go well.
last week there was an article about cohabitation in the army in our local paper. Apparently the army is trying to increase recruitment and retention rates (i wonder why?). They are giving married enlisted/commisioned couples their own private 2 bunk room (the couple in the article pushed the bunks together).
edit: I reread it and realized how bad my post was hopefully I got it fast enough lol.

SRY

In training it seemed like no big deal. I assumed it would be similar in the fleet amongst O’s. But I just heard of a friend who hooked up with a fellow JO in his squadron and now he’s “getting well” in the desert. Probably depends on how much the skipper likes you.

MasterBates

Because in the TRACOM you guys have no jobs, and no control over ANYTHING save how you fly. In the fleet, you do, and that can lead to favortism.

Lets face it, most Navy chicks are not that hot. And the 1 or 2 here in my wing that are 1's on the Brett327 Binary Scale, would not be worth the drama if you broke up on bad terms.

mb1k

Yep. The clock says, "MAN TIME".
pilot
None
Two fellow IPs were living together and bumping uglies in my squadron. Skipper and the whole command knew. Nothing was ever brought up. YMMV.

FWIW, they ended up married, kids, adultery, divorced, etc.