• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Collings Foundation F-105 Restoration

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
republic-f105-thunderchief.jpg800px-Tornado_MFG1_landing_RAF_Mildenhall_1984.jpg

It took 110% of my PC skills to accomplish inserting the above pictures (that's what happens with steam-gauge era posters). One could reasonably assume that a sharp lawyer could successfully bring a suit against the tail section of the F-105 for failing to support the rest of the airframe. On the other hand, Panavia's Tornado has so much tail section that it overwhelms the rest of the aircraft. Somewhere in between these 2 extremes there must be a well-balanced a/c design. Idle thought for the morning.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
View attachment 11564View attachment 11563

I took 110% of my PC skills to accomplish inserting the above pictures (that's what happens with steam-gauge era posters). One could reasonably assume that a sharp lawyer could successfully bring a suit against the tail section of the F-105 for failing to support the rest of the airframe. On the other hand, Panavia's Tornado has so much tail section that it overwhelms the rest of the aircraft. Somewhere in between these 2 extremes there must be a well-balance a/c design. Idle thought for the morning.

I have often held the same "idle" thought.