• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Color Blindness and Aviation

Status
Not open for further replies.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
Many of our repeat offenders have come back w/ the same geographic IP, so it's a valid sleuthing technique, regardless of the OP's intentions (which I suspect is just laziness in filling out the bio).

While I do find that highly suspicious, I was just pointing out that these days (read: broadband, not dial-up) one's IP isn't necessarily indicative of where they are actually located, but rather, their ISP. For example, my university, Michigan State University, serves approximately over 100,000 users and every single one of those ISPs resolves geographically to the same area. These days, it works much the same way with many ISPs (not all, but many - especially smaller ones with only one CO serving dense market).

There are many factors to take into account when considering this. First, things like WiFi/Wimax complicate the issue enough given their widespread coverage and NAT (potentially hundreds of users under the same WAN IP).

However, that is not really widespread enough to link several offenders to the same area - perhaps within a few miles if setup correctly.

But, if a particular ISP has just one or two COs in a geographic region handing out IPs in the class B range then that's (255*255) or 65,025 different IPs, then it would only take a few COs within relative geographic proximity to one another to serve an entire market (i.e. the entire Southwest or Midwestern US). Thing is, usually one would expect the third octet of a class B to represent geographic CO/networks, not individual hosts within the same vicinity but that's not always how the schema is employed... which is stupid, but what can you do, ya know?

This is all, of course, in theory and each ISP uses a different scheme, depending on how large they are. The only way I way I could tell you if you're likely dealing with the same user or multiple users coincidentally within the same geographic proximity using the same ISP would take me 1) several hours and 2) would be done of questionable means.

Gonna go ahead and assume you don't care that much, but if the trolling continues and you're looking to really figure out who and where, then let me know. Guess a telecom degree's good for somethin' =)

I concur...the username being a primitive castle fortress during the medieval era doesn't help either. :)

But then again, I may be one too for knowing that :eek:

You're thinking of 'Motte and Bailey' castles.

Bailey being the Irish spelling of the; Baillie being the Scottish. Mot being 'Tom' backwards hence my username is just mot, baillie. Tom Baillie. Good catch!

devil dog said:

That's how I roll, sir.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I concur...the username being a primitive castle fortress during the medieval era doesn't help either. :)
Medieval history rendered in l33tspeak . . .

Geek Checklist - COMPLETE

(takes one to know one)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

But then again, I may be one too for knowing that :eek:

..as well as and choosing your current avatar....

Status
Not open for further replies.