• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Colorado Redflag?

FastMover

NFO
None
Here's another with the Sunburst treatment on the rudder.
IMG_0245.jpg

montellv

Professional Badguy
pilot
Sorry to jump in late but I am just getting back from OEF/OIF on the Stennis and going to VFC-13 in Fallon. Pueblo is my hometown so glad to see a little love for KPUB. The girls at Flower Aviation are always hot college girls...just a little gouge.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Just reviving a prior squadron's markings

Yeah, but of all the decom'd VF and VFA squadrons that were available for "reactivation", why did we have to pick the one that is a face shot directly to one of our better allies?

Seems like poor headwork on someone's part.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, but of all the decom'd VF and VFA squadrons that were available for "reactivation", why did we have to pick the one that is a face shot directly to one of our better allies?

Seems like poor headwork on someone's part.

How is it a "face shot"? CVW-5 aircraft all work in a Japanese motif in their markings/patches that honors their Atsugi heritage and VF-111 has carried its bold Sundowner markings including the shark mouth since F-8 days. It's not like their mimicking Soviet markings like some adversary squadrons. I'm willing to bet that the Japanese modelers and tailchasers will be fans if they aren't already.

FlyinSpy

Contributor
How is it a "face shot"? CVW-5 aircraft all work in a Japanese motif in their markings/patches that honors their Atsugi heritage and VF-111 has carried its bold Sundowner markings including the shark mouth since F-8 days. It's not like their mimicking Soviet markings like some adversary squadrons. I'm willing to bet that the Japanese modelers and tailchasers will be fans if they aren't already.

It's a face shot in that we're reminding them "we kicked your a$$ in the Big One!" There's nothing wrong with embracing a Japanese motif; it's one that has you machine gunning their national ensign that may be a bit questionable.

VF-111 had the Sundowner motif uninterrupted since WWII, from Hellcats through Tomcats, so no big deal. But when you had a wide variety of logos to pick when choosing to stand up VFC-XXX (see http://www.anft.net/f-14/f14-squadron.htm), why pick the Sundowners when you could have picked something equally cool but non-face-shottish? (Like VF-191 / Satan's Kittens - although that would clearly get the evangelicals all spun up...)

I don't think the Japanese are filing any diplomatic protests over this, and I'm sure the Japanese modelers think it's cool anyway, but why take the chance? I still call poor headwork because people have gotten their knickers all knotted up over far lesser offenses... :)

Attachments

• f14-squadron-logo-vf111-01.gif
    f14-squadron-logo-vf111-01.gif
    28.2 KB · Views: 14

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
but why take the chance? I still call poor headwork because people have gotten their knickers all knotted up over far lesser offenses... :)
So now we not only have to put up with those who get worked up over inanities, but we have to anticipate their hissy fits in advance as well? I think you're way off base here.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So now we not only have to put up with those who get worked up over inanities, but we have to anticipate their hissy fits in advance as well? I think you're way off base here.

Concur and I hear the PC police are always recruiting new folks and FlyinSpy looks to be of right mindset

FlyinSpy

Contributor
Concur and I hear the PC police are always recruiting new folks and FlyinSpy looks to be of right mindset

Try a UDP deployment to Iwakuni and you'll see exactly what lengths we go to in order to avoid upsetting Japanese sensibilities....

PC?? Moi?? Them's fightin' words where I come from. Good thing this ain't where I come from! :icon_tong

FastMover

NFO
None
The Air Force's 60th Fighter Squadron just completed a two week detachment at Key West yesterday. Looks like VFC-111 has got a few blue F-5's with the Sunburst scheme on the rudder now. Looks pretty darn sharp. Full story

070626-F-8800M-001.jpg