• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Comm discussion

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
MRC-148?!? I didn't know it was vehicle mounted ;) I think you mean PRC-148... or MBITR...

What he said. And a goodly portion of the USMC inventory of said vehicle-mounted radio systems belong to me. Or at least I'm going to prison if they turn up missing, anyway.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Yes, indeed it would. Which is why the damn trucks are locked up and have had an official modification to keep theiving grunts from rooting through them while on ship. Bastards.

But I digress.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
MRC-148?!? I didn't know it was vehicle mounted ;) I think you mean PRC-148... or MBITR...

Wow I need to stop involving myself in convoy ops. Good catch sir. the PRC-148 MBITR... ahem... yes... great radio :) On that note the MRC-148 is a great vehicle though, have you ever had the chance to drive around in one?

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
I figured as much... command usually comes by and steals a Comm vehicle to drive the CO or other officer around for the day. I've been stuck with that duty a couple times :D In fact we started calling our -148s "Comm Taxi" ... always on- time! At least everyone will know where you are (in other words I'll be making sure to radio my buddies, tell them the CO is coming, and hide the paraphernalia) ...

Attachments

• CIMG5722.JPG
    CIMG5722.JPG
    368.7 KB · Views: 70

phrogpilot73

I figured as much... command usually comes by and steals a Comm vehicle to drive the CO or other officer around for the day. I've been stuck with that duty a couple times :D In fact we started calling our -148s "Comm Taxi" ... always on- time! At least everyone will know where you are (in other words I'll be making sure to radio my buddies, tell them the CO is coming, and hide the paraphernalia) ...
I didn't have to "Steal" the truck... We had two MRC-148s, one was assigned to me, and one to the NGLO. The CO didn't dare touch either one! ;)

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Kind of a waste for the CO to swipe a -148 if you ask me. Too few of them out there to waste on something like that. If you guys don't want them, I could always use one more. ...Not that I would be allowed to actually take it on ship or anything like that, though.

phrogpilot73

Kind of a waste for the CO to swipe a -148 if you ask me. Too few of them out there to waste on something like that. If you guys don't want them, I could always use one more. ...Not that I would be allowed to actually take it on ship or anything like that, though.
I agree. It was nice to have a truck that could talk on more nets than the CO. During the convoy in Jordan he asked me why I still had two sections of the HF antenna up. Not being one to lie, I told him the truth - that I was listening to BBC... He started asking about how he could get a 148 after that.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
HF is weird, especially at night. People smarter than yours truly have theorised that there are still HF signals bouncing around the atmosphere from decades ago. At night, they're more readily picked up, so newer DASC guys tend to get freaked out a bit when they're sitting TAR/HR for the first few times after we switch to the night freqs. I'm always surprised at the weird shit that we hear.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
HF is weird, especially at night. People smarter than yours truly have theorised that there are still HF signals bouncing around the atmosphere from decades ago. At night, they're more readily picked up, so newer DASC guys tend to get freaked out a bit when they're sitting TAR/HR for the first few times after we switch to the night freqs. I'm always surprised at the weird shit that we hear.

Not too far from wrong. We would DX from Danang to Jxxx via 6 metres at night when E layer split into E1 and E2 layer providing ducting. Also the mickeymouse headsets (1Watt) deck crews used on Yankee station carriers would duct into NVN providing all info they needed to know about the next strike.

Have DX'd around the world on 1 KW (F1 - F2 Layer).

USS Liberty incident - discussed ad nauseam elsewhere, caused in part by fact ship was communicating with NSS (Cheltenham, MD) using the moon as passive reflector (that huge dish on the ship). Well the Israeliis decided to attack after the moon had set, Liberty posit, ergo no communications. That incident spelled death of the moon relay system.:eek::eek: Note. System operated on about 2400 mhz band.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
I agree. It was nice to have a truck that could talk on more nets than the CO. During the convoy in Jordan he asked me why I still had two sections of the HF antenna up. Not being one to lie, I told him the truth - that I was listening to BBC... He started asking about how he could get a 148 after that.

Ha, same reason I used to hang out with the radio guys while I was on a submarine middie cruise. The other middies always seemed to wonder how I knew what was going on in the world.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
HF is weird, especially at night. .... .
HF is a piece of cake :)... did it for over 35 years ..... you just need to know the "system" and what to listen for .... anticipate ..... and know "Engrish" when spoken in English and various Zipper-Head/LIP dialects, i.e., Tagalog, Japanese, Cantonese, Malay, Indo-Aryan, Russian, Vietnamese, Cambodian, Laotian, Thai, Arabic, Aussie, etc., etc. ....you see where this is going ????

RULE of THUMB: The higher the sun ... the higher the freq. The lower the sun, the lower the freq. ... for starters.... :)