• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Commitment to Excellence

krchris

Are any of you aware of a video called "Commitment to Excellence?" I just received some documents from my recruiter that indicate I should see this video. When I asked my recruiter about it, he just said that I should be able to find it somewhere on the internet or something.

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
Just don't take the Oakland Raiders' "Commitment to Excellence" approach.

In 1988, the Navy decided to adopt Dr. Demmings "Total Quality Management" repackaged as "Total Quality leadership." The movie distributed to all commands to demonstrate the power of TQM used the application in Detroit to automobiles and included a big deal on the first automobile designed and built with TQM: the Pontiac Fiero.

The movie generated more laughs than Animal House during this segment.

MasterBates

TQM! Ahhhehhhhhehhhh.

(hides under desk)

That was later taught at GMI as how NOT to design a car..

Sorry, it just made me have a GM Engineer deja vu moment....

snake020

Contributor
In 1988, the Navy decided to adopt Dr. Demmings "Total Quality Management" repackaged as "Total Quality leadership."

AF did the same thing when McPeak was chief of staff. I obviously wasn't in, but everyone who was bitches to me about the "quality air force" days.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
TQL did teach us something valuable though: all jack-$ss, three-letter acronym management fads will fade with time (and a change of command) - you just have to wait them out....

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
TQL did teach us something valuable though: all jack-$ss, three-letter acronym management fads will fade with time (and a change of command) - you just have to wait them out....

This falls into the "time and tides wait for no man' truisms. Well put.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
I hate to admit it, but there was a time when I would 'fight the power' on those things. I am truly grateful that I am brighter than I used to be.

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
I hate to admit it, but there was a time when I would 'fight the power' on those things. I am truly grateful that I am brighter than I used to be.

When then-CNO Adm Trost announced TQL, he told us to get onboard, that TQL was the future of the Navy and would outlive all of us. Every JO said, "yeah right," ten minutes after his change of command it's a dot on the horizon. I don't think that was too far off.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey Brett, you remember what came before TQL??? Wasn't it LMET & NLDP?

I remember NLDP. When I was a 1st, they called it FLCC, which we promptly renamed Fvcking Leadership Continuum Crap. Same stuff, different name: Read these books we bought in bulk from some self-anointed geniuses, memorize some clever acronyms and mnemonics, here's your diploma. Thanks a lot. :rolleyes:

Brett

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I remember NLDP. When I was a 1st, they called it FLCC, which we promptly renamed Fvcking Leadership Continuum Crap. Same stuff, different name: Read these books we bought in bulk from some self-anointed geniuses, memorize some clever acronyms and mnemonics, here's your diploma. Thanks a lot. :rolleyes:

Brett
LMET - Leadership, Management, Education & Training. Required of all new officers when I was commissioned. We got to play ring toss......

robav8r

None
Contributor
LMET - Leadership, Management, Education & Training. Required of all new officers when I was commissioned. We got to play ring toss......

Oh yes, the "Ring Toss," I remember it well. I also remember the requisite viewing of "12 O'Clock High" to reinforce those leadership traits every B-17 bomber squadron CO should have!