• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Contract Question

Thunderkiss

ENS - SNFO
Is there any sort of way the Navy is able to help someone out that has been put in a hard situation prior to signing the contract?

For example, if someone's boss were to find out that you were leaving for OCS and then decided to replace said employee, but the person still has about a month or two before leaving for OCS.

Does the Navy help with cash advances when swearing / signing in?

What types of signing bonus is available for SNA / NFO? Can this bonus have an advance drawn on it to help prepare for OCS?

VR,

TK

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
if you put in a two weeks notice and were a good employee...why would he/she not wish you well and let you stay until you left?

Thunderkiss

ENS - SNFO
Really that is going off topic but if it makes you sleep better at night I can elaborate...

Lets say the person was a bartender and an "at will employee" and also a male. Then lets say that there was someone with HUGE BOOBIES looking for a job right away. HUGE BOOBIES wins, as in this particular case the lady with HUGE BOOBIES will make a career out of bartending and not leave for silly things like the Navy... as the owner considers it.

Now back to the topic please... the possibility of assistance...

VR,

TK

AJB37

Personally, I would neglect to mention I got selected until two weeks before my ship date.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
it sounds like the cat is already out of the bag. That's too bad. I would look into unemployment benefits, or another part time job to fill in the gap. I don't know of any program that allows the Navy to give an advance - you are pretty much still an unknown quantity and they have to look at it from that perspective. What if you curl up into the fetal position and cry for your mommy on day 2 of OCS? Not saying you will, but that is the perspective they have to use.

Tyler

!
pilot
Contributor
They can't fire you for joining the service. There are protection laws against this. I'd call an attorney and get them to write your boss a letter.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
They can't fire you for joining the service. There are protection laws against this. I'd call an attorney and get them to write your boss a letter.

Read his post. He wasn't fired, he just wasn't asked to come back the next night. It's hard to be fired from a job when you're not on the payroll.

Tyler

!
pilot
Contributor
Read his post. He wasn't fired, he just wasn't asked to come back the next night. It's hard to be fired from a job when you're not on the payroll.

All due respect, I don't know where his post says that he wasn't on the payroll, but if you are referring to the "at will employee" remark he wrote, it is still illegal to "replace him" due to the fact that he joined the military...even if he is employed "At-Will."

...Even if you are an at-will employee, you still cannot be fired for reasons that are illegal under state and federal law. In these situations, the government has decided to make an exception to the general rule of at-will employment...

...And you cannot be fired for exercising a variety of legal rights, including the right to take family and medical leave, to take leave to serve in the military, or to take time off work to vote or serve on a jury.
His boss is just hoping he'll go away, but he can and should make a stink out of this.

EDIT: Also, on a side note, if you decide to turn in a written 2 week notice, and your employer decides to go ahead and send you home immediately, you are elligible to draw unemployment for those two weeks.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
All due respect, I don't know where his post says that he wasn't on the payroll, but if you are referring to the "at will employee" remark he wrote, it is still illegal to "replace him" due to the fact that he joined the military...even if he is employed "At-Will."

Eh, tomato, tomahto. You're right, I didn't fully understand "At-will" employment, but it seems if the owner knows you're not going to be working for much longer and he has to hire someone else for it, why not hire someone else now if they're available?

to take leave to serve in the military,
His boss is just hoping he'll go away, but he can and should make a stink out of this.

But he's not taking "leave," he's quitting. I just don't see this being worth the effort for two weeks worth of pay. Morally, it's not right, but monetarily I don't think he'll come out ahead in pursuing this.

EDIT: Also, on a side note, if you decide to turn in a written 2 week notice, and your employer decides to go ahead and send you home immediately, you are elligible to draw unemployment for those two weeks.

That, however, is a good point and sounds like is worth looking at as some sort of intermediate income.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
My father own's three restaurants...and we have these types of discussions...if you are a good employee and contribute...your boss isn't going to want to "make you go away"...good help is hard to find..and you will not be asked to leave , get fired, whatever you want to call it, if you are an asset. This is very different of course from big companies who have to lay off workers to better their bottom line.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Do you have a credit card that gives you decent rates on access checks? It's not ideal, but it's a reasonably low rate, you can desposit a couple of grand in your checking account and pay it off after OCS.

Again, not the best situation, but that's what I did, then I used the Navy Mutual 5K loan to pay off the CC.

Thunderkiss

ENS - SNFO
I did just recieve a notice from citi bank about an offer for an all purpose pre-approved 4,500 loan. It didn't list the % rate on it though.

Also... Im not sure what I would tell them... I don't think it is ideal to list being replaced at work or that I will be attending OCS in 2 months... They want to see earnings now...

TK

nugget81

pilot
If money is that tight, consider the commissioning loan through USAA or Navy Federal CU. USAA loaned me, a few years ago, $25,000 at 2%. Payments were deferred until OCS graduation, interest was not. Be sure you can afford the additional monthly payments before doing it though.