• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Couple of questions before OCS...

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
1) I'll be wearing glasses, my vision is like 20/200. However, the glasses I have right now are kind of old, and make my vision about 20/60. Is this going to be a problem?

2) The list from my OSO tells me to bring (along with all the papers) $300, running shoes, 2 pairs civilian attire, and a hygeine kit. Will you be allowed to bring all the stuff like powder in the hygeine kit or do you purchase all of that stuff on base? Also, is this the stuff you should put in plastic bags before you go to OCS or is it the stuff you are issued when you are there? Or both?

3) Can anyone give a short time table for the first few days? Like, 1-3 are inprocessing, when the initial PFT and pickup are, etc.

I'm kind of confused, any help is greatly appreciated.

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
whitesoxnation said:
1) I'll be wearing glasses, my vision is like 20/200. However, the glasses I have right now are kind of old, and make my vision about 20/60. Is this going to be a problem?

2) The list from my OSO tells me to bring (along with all the papers) $300, running shoes, 2 pairs civilian attire, and a hygeine kit. Will you be allowed to bring all the stuff like powder in the hygeine kit or do you purchase all of that stuff on base? Also, is this the stuff you should put in plastic bags before you go to OCS or is it the stuff you are issued when you are there? Or both?

3) Can anyone give a short time table for the first few days? Like, 1-3 are inprocessing, when the initial PFT and pickup are, etc.

I'm kind of confused, any help is greatly appreciated.

I am not sure about glasses because I don't wear any, but you will have to take a physical when you first get to OCS. You will take an eye exam and the doctors will make you some OCS glasses (forget the official name) that will have your correct prescription. You definitely are allowed to bring more than just the items you listed. You will get a lot of useful stuff with your large and small bag issues, but they won't give you everything you need. Search the website, because I believe there was a good list of stuff to bring to OCS on here. If not there is a good list on www.marineocs.com. When you get there you will sit around a lot, buy your large and small bags, get issued your gear, etc. You do your PFT I believe the first Tuesday you're there, after your physical and gear issues. Pickup is on Wednesday, and then you will go to get your cammies and boots. Make sure you bring your shot records or you will have to get every shot they give (I got eight shots and was still a little sore from them for my PFT the next morning). Also bring your cell phone. You will have to put it in a footlocker with the rest of the platoon's cell phones, but you will be able to get it out your first libo. Good luck and have some fun!

JZAB

Livin the MEU life
pilot
My husband is at OCS right now. 2 days after he arrived at Quantico, they had the initial PFT, a lot of people who failed got sent home immediately..so be as prepared as possible...I believe everything before that was in-processing. The very next day was Pick up.

My husband didn't bring much with him...especially since he knew he would be buying most of it again anyway. I believe he packed his running shoes, 2 or 3 pairs of civilian clothes, his toiletry kit (shaving cream, razor, toothbrush, etc.) and one set of PTs. Don't go out and buy the PT uniform if you don't already have it...he already had it and basically brought it as a spare. The lighter you pack, the easier it is on you. Don't forget you will be carrying your "trash" around for the first couple days, so don't overpack.

I know I'm not a candidate, but I hope this was helpful :) Good luck to you!

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
FLYMARINES said:
You will take an eye exam and the doctors will make you some OCS glasses (forget the official name) that will have your correct prescription.

BCGs? :p

I'll check the other stuff out, thanks.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
JZAB said:
My husband is at OCS right now. 2 days after he arrived at Quantico, they had the initial PFT, a lot of people who failed got sent home immediately..so be as prepared as possible...I believe everything before that was in-processing. The very next day was Pick up.

My husband didn't bring much with him...especially since he knew he would be buying most of it again anyway. I believe he packed his running shoes, 2 or 3 pairs of civilian clothes, his toiletry kit (shaving cream, razor, toothbrush, etc.) and one set of PTs. Don't go out and buy the PT uniform if you don't already have it...he already had it and basically brought it as a spare. The lighter you pack, the easier it is on you. Don't forget you will be carrying your "trash" around for the first couple days, so don't overpack.

I know I'm not a candidate, but I hope this was helpful :) Good luck to you!

Did he bring all of his trash with him in a gym style bag or in a military issue duffel bag? OR is the duffel bag issued with all of your stuff?

I know I had a list of stuff somewhere and it said to bring stuff like rubberbands etc.

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
whitesoxnation said:
Did he bring all of his trash with him in a gym style bag or in a military issue duffel bag? OR is the duffel bag issued with all of your stuff?

I know I had a list of stuff somewhere and it said to bring stuff like rubberbands etc.

You will be issued two laundry bags for your large and small bag issues, and a sea bag when you get your uniforms.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
zuggerat said:
BIIRRTTHHH CONNNTRROOLLLL GOOOOGGLLESSSSS hahahahahah. Have fun with those!:icon_smil

hering-admin-761870.jpg

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
FLYMARINES said:
You will be issued two laundry bags for your large and small bag issues, and a sea bag when you get your uniforms.

I brought a seabag from home for my gear. Don't bring a bunch of $hit from home. Really try and keep it as light as possible. It will save you chasing it all over the grinder.

maineiac515

OCC 193
I got a 3 page list of stuff to bring to OCC from my OSO, but it seemed a tad hefty, so it seems the consensus is bring as little as possible. Less stuff to lose I suppose. I am always a light traveler anyways.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
Label all your stuff. Trust me. Put small stuff in ziplocs. Trust me. Bring a few rolls of athletic tape (1" and 1/2" types) and some sharpies. Trust me. Bring a healthy supply of $1's, $5's, and $10's for PX runs and haircuts. Trust me.