• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

cranials are stupid....

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Army doesn't do it, AF doesn't do it, Civil Offshore Helo and EMS doesn't do it - why does Navy/MC insist on slapping cranials on their helo pax? I can't see the value safety wise... it's one of those "this is the way we have always done it..." navy Safety Center dumb ass ideas - and it looks crappy on the news photos.

web_060718-M-3598F-008.jpg

MasterBates

Not to mention, uncomfortable as hell! I do not know how our Mechs wear them all day. 2 minutes, and the area around my ears hurt.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not to mention, uncomfortable as hell! I do not know how our Mechs wear them all day. 2 minutes, and the area around my ears hurt.

They're actually pretty comfortable if they're fit right - certainly a challenge for the horribly misshapen. ;)

Brett

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It is a safety issue for going to a ship which the above mentioned services dont do. IF nothing else it keeps them from pumping their heads going through hatches.
For a NEO it also helps ID those that are in sticks, i.e readyt o be lifted and those that arent yet. Usually crannials get handed out after processing.

In short they arent stupid, I have seen them save many maintainers from serious injuries and I think they would only be worsened if you let evacuees loose on the flight deck after a NEO.

usmc96

Crew Chiefs are usually too lazy to break out the ICS cranial for the Stick Leader.

Probably because the pilots don’t want to be told that they are landing in the wrong LZ again. Even though they went to the hour-long confirmation brief the ACE never seems to get the right LZ.

Crowbar

None
No, cranials are not stupid. Just because you don't like them (and probably never had to wear one for more than a few minutes) doesn't make them stupid. Like skidkid said, people need some protection from hitting their heads on things. Have you ever actually watched people coming out of a helo during a NEO? It's not always a perfect flow. There is some pushing and shoving and running going on. Not much of an issue if you work on the flight deck regularly, but take a tired, confused, panicked, recently uprooted civilian who's never been on a warship and is dragging luggage and kids, and there's a high potential to go tits up on the non-skid or run into a hatch.

Cranials aren't perfect but we work with what we've got. What is it with you anyway? A while back you were belittling Navy maintainers. Now you make fun of the equipment they are required to wear. Did you do these things to your troops' faces?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Crew Chiefs are usually too lazy to break out the ICS cranial for the Stick Leader.

Probably because the pilots don’t want to be told that they are landing in the wrong LZ again. Even though they went to the hour-long confirmation brief the ACE never seems to get the right LZ.

I never had a problem getting an ICS crannial when I was a FAC, nor did the Company or platoon commanders. What are you basing this on?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No, cranials are not stupid. Just because you don't like them (and probably never had to wear one for more than a few minutes) doesn't make them stupid. Like skidkid said, people need some protection from hitting their heads on things. Have you ever actually watched people coming out of a helo during a NEO? It's not always a perfect flow. There is some pushing and shoving and running going on. Not much of an issue if you work on the flight deck regularly, but take a tired, confused, panicked, recently uprooted civilian who's never been on a warship and is dragging luggage and kids, and there's a high potential to go tits up on the non-skid or run into a hatch.

Cranials aren't perfect but we work with what we've got. What is it with you anyway? A while back you were belittling Navy maintainers. Now you make fun of the equipment they are required to wear. Did you do these things to your troops' faces?

Amen! Chuck's got issues - bigtime.

Brett

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Afraid I have to concur on the positive side for cranial use. As a maintainer (even just at I level), they saved me from many potential stitches, lumps, and fractures. Is wearing one uncomfortable at times? Yep. Does it make you look like that grocery store bagger who wears a bicycle helmet and talks like Jimmy from South Park? Absolutely. Is that better than lying unconcious/dead in a pool of your own blood and graymatter? I think so, but then again, I have little to no graymatter to spare.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think it is for hearing protection as well. the 53 is painfully loud. I would guess that is why the mother in the picture is holding her hands over the kids ears.

H20man

Drill baby drill!
Head, Hearing, and Eye protection (with goggles), it does it all.

Yes it is really uncomfortable especially after running around and sweating, but after watching a foot long piece of pallet that was shaped like a spear get picked up and thrown into the house pointy end first, I would rather have it on than sitting useless in the locker.

Not that it has happened to me, but it acts as a bumper between your skull and the wheel of the helo for the pilots that like it extra low during VERTREP.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
Crainials are not stupid, but they could do with a little redesign. I was in maintaince when wearing them on the aircraft became mandatory. My biggest fear was falling off the helo and having the side of my head hit the deck, driving the hearing protector into my skull. I'm still walking around because of head protection. We landed after a PMCF in a SH-3H and I was pulling tail gearbox oil samples when the boat pitched and I fell off the stub wing. I hit on my right side and split the side of the flight helmet I was wearing. I broke my arm and collarbone but my head was alright, although some debate that. I don't want to think what would have happened if I was wearing a crainial or no head protection.

thenuge

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
Let me tell you a little story. It's about an E-3 that made his living working 'neath a Tomcat. One day he thought he was cool a didn't put his cranial on when he left his shop. Whilst doing his job, a shipmate called his name so he came from 'neath the bird to see what the fuss was. Split his melon wide open on the HARM adapter. And off to medical we go! After that, I wore my cranial at all times...except when ontop of jet and it's hot as ball$ outside.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hmm, guess Chuck couldn't done a poll, but then again, seems pretty much one-sided.......