• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

cranials are stupid....

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Let me tell you a little story. It's about an E-3 that made his living working 'neath a Tomcat. One day he thought he was cool a didn't put his cranial on when he left his shop. Whilst doing his job, a shipmate called his name so he came from 'neath the bird to see what the fuss was. Split his melon wide open on the HARM adapter. And off to medical we go! After that, I wore my cranial at all times...except when ontop of jet and it's hot as ball$ outside.

But Tomcats don't (didn't) shoot HARM. What gives?

Brett

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
F-14 HARM Adaptor

HARM adapter carries the LANTIRN.

HARM was on the roadmap for Tomcat (as was AMRAAM) until the great peace dividend cuts post Desert Storm. Harm adpators were developed at pax River and qualified on the jet before funding was pulled. Then along came LANTIRN and the need for an adaptor pronto. Turns out the HARM adaptor was just right (a true modern day Goldilocks story) and flight testing and introduction of LANTIRN tot he fleet was greatly speeded up because of the HARM adaptor being readily available for testing and suitable for production. Another bit of trivia is the fact that the LANTIRN hand control is actually from the A-12 program so the taxpayers got some return on the billions invested.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Was TARPS fancy? The pods I dealt with were pretty old school.

I was being folksy. I figured it would put someone from Tennessee at ease. ;) I was going to work a reckon in there too, but then though it would be over the top.

@ HJ: You trying to start a pod envy war? ;)

Brett

thenuge

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
I was being folksy. I figured it would put someone from Tennessee at ease. ;) I was going to work a reckon in there too, but then though it would be over the top.

It's not "thingy" It's "thang".

Anyway,

I say, I say, them there TARPS pods ustacould do some good recon ovuh yonduh...I reckon

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Another bit of trivia is the fact that the LANTIRN hand control is actually from the A-12 program so the taxpayers got some return on the billions invested.
Wow, multi-billions spent on an aircraft that never existed, and out of it we get . . . a joystick! Woohoo! :icon_tong

perotti17

Good call Red.

When I first started working Powerline, they said for me to wear my cranial when working around the jet at ALL TIMES for the first month. Its better to learn where the sharp edges of the jet are with a cranial on than off. Otherwise, you're going to the awesome F/L medical facilites. That thing has saved my a$$ several times. Plus, hyd fluid hurts more hitting you in the eye than the goggles.

Lawman

None
Wow, multi-billions spent on an aircraft that never existed, and out of it we get . . . a joystick! Woohoo! :icon_tong

Dont forget an engine development program for GE that resulted in those beastly 414's in the Rhino.

By the way Im back (well sorta).