• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Crash course 101

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
So one of my good friends wants me to talk to him about going into NROTC. He is a real good guy, and would be good for the military, but I dont know much about NROTC...

I had some experience with AFROTC, and have since decided to apply for the Navy. From my reading on here I have learned a few basics, and will obviously recommend he go talk to a recruiter. But seeing as he is going to want to hear what I have to say first could one of the guys in NROTC give me the basics.

It appears (unlike AFROTC) to get in you have an indoc week? Then you have once a day weekly events/classes/PT? You go on a cruise during the summer (2 summers maybe?). Do they offer different units for Marine ROTC (is that even an option?). I really have no idea what field he wants to go into, but I am happy to see Bros (fraternity bros that is) interested in the military since I have been the only one for the longest time. So any other info would be useful. What are the plusses, what are the minuses?

Thanks for the help.

Edit:
Oh yea, and what is the selection process like? What year do you apply for jobs? Is there a rated board, followed by a non-rated board? Selection rates are good for most jobs/bad for some/etc?

Shakey

I'm talkin, G-5...!
pilot
All NROTC units are a little different. Most, if not all, do have a an indoc week. It is not boot camp. It's just a short wake-up call that introduces you to the basics of the Navy and Marine Corps. Your instructors will yell at you, teach you drill, and make you PT, but it can also be really boring at times. My orientation week was riddled with endless briefings - the hardest part was staying awake. Nonetheless, it was still a great experience.

During the semester, we have a Drill/Naval Science Lab once a week (2.5-3 hr briefings usually) and a Naval Science class 3 days a week. You take a different Naval Science class each semester ie. intro to NavalSci, Seapower & Maritime Affairs, Navigation, etc.

For Navy Option Midshipmen, there are 3 summer cruises: CORTRAMID (Intro to various warfare communities), Enlisted Cruise, and Junior Officer Cruise respectively. Each one is roughly 4 to 6 weeks in length. Marine Options replace the last two cruises with two six-week summer sessions of Marine OCS at Quantico.

Finally there is PT. Some units have no organized PT, ours happens to have it 5 days a week, but we are only required to attend 3 - everyone has to be there on Thursday for Battalion PT. It usually goes from 0545 to 0700. You must also be able to pass the PRT (Physical Readiness Test) once each semester. You will also have to perform a PRT twice a year when you hit the fleet.

Your unit may also have regular activities it take part in that involve the community, such as being a big bother to some JROTC units and volunteering at the VFW. Since we're located in Daytona Beach, we work at the Daytona 500 to raise money for our clubs (Drill Team, Color Guard, Band, etc.). The unit also has it's own intramural teams, an aviation, surface warfare, sub, and SpecWar (more PT) clubs, and Blood Stripe Society for the Marine Options. Overall, it really has a lot to offer. You get back whatever you put into it.

NROTC has it's ups and downs, just as any other path to commision. At times, particularly around finals/midterms, it can have it's toll on you (that is where your own personal dedication comes in). I wouldn't say it's really hard on a day to day basis, but you have to truely want to do this. That is the only way you'll have the discipline to get through 3 or 4 years of it. On the other hand, if you manage to get a scholarship through the program, it's full ride. Not a bad deal at all. Hope that helps.

Here's my unit's link if you want to check it out http://embryriddlenavymarinesrotc.org

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Awesome thanks for the info.

My first concern (which I am sure will be his) is the day count per week commitment. Since our school has zero ROTC programs, he will be a cross-town at whereever he goes (I believe the two closest are UCLA and CSU Fullerton). Its a GOOD long drive to each of those (UCLA during commute can be 2-3 hrs each way). In your experience do they have some sort of way around that? If I was in his shoes there is almost no way I could make it to either for 3 days+ a week (plus with gas prices the way it is the cost would be pretty nuts - 120 miles round trip/ 20 mpg * 3.50 = $21 per trip, or 61/week, or 244/month).

Shakey

I'm talkin, G-5...!
pilot
Yeah dude, that's a long way. I don't think we have any people who are "cross-town." He should probably call up those units and his officer recruiter to get more info on that. If it doesn't work out, there's always Officer Candidate School - a lot of people overlook it as an option, as there is no "full-ride" scholarship involved. But other than that, OCS is just as good as any other commisioning program. With that, you deal with the Navy after college without having to balance NROTC with his social and academic lives (can be tough at times). Does you friend want to go Navy, or is also considering Marines?

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Yup I got the OCS concept down. Thats what I am in the works for (just waiting for the next BDCP board to meet).

He emailed me saying Navy, but I have no idea what his intentions are. I figured i'd give him as much info as I could, especially since if hes going to go to USC or UCLA (only two programs nearby, CSU Fullerton appears to be no more) he needs to get on the ball ASAP since USC starts up in about 2 weeks.

As for the crosstown thing, somehow people do it. For AFROTC, people do the drive I mentioned above (UCI to UCLA) at least 1-2 times a week. Its rough, expensive, and time consuming.

Shakey

I'm talkin, G-5...!
pilot
That commute could really add up after a while. His best bet is to talk to his school and NROTC unit so he can try to work out a schedule that won't have the Navy conflicting with classes. It's also important for him to keep his options open. If one thing doesn't work out, there are other ways to a commision.

Also, good luck with BDCP. If I don't get a scholarship through NROTC, I'll be applying for that very soon.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
One more question:

For AFROTC you contract at the very latest the very first thing in your 3rd year. You apply for your rated slot a couple months later and find out the results in the spring (therefore you Contract before you find out what it is you will be doing). For NROTC same process? Do you get your slot before you contract? Also from looking at the NROTC website it says you can only go Aviation, SpecWar, SWO, and Subs. What happened to Intel, Supply, etc?

navysoccer18

FNG
pilot
The Navy has a different process. You typically find out your service selection sometime around Christmas of your senior year. Unfortunately, if you are a scholarship midshipman, you signed your contract at the beginning of your sophomore year of college. I can't speak for the Air Forces philosophy on officer training, but the Navy looks at you as an officer first, and a aviator or SWO second.

To answer your second question, you can only go line designators out of NROTC. These are also called the 'non-restricted line' designators, and are Aviation, SWO, Subs or Spec War as you said. NROTC midshipmen can only go restricted line (Intel, Supply, ect) if they are medically disqualified from line positions.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
The Navy has a different process. You typically find out your service selection sometime around Christmas of your senior year. Unfortunately, if you are a scholarship midshipman, you signed your contract at the beginning of your sophomore year of college. I can't speak for the Air Forces philosophy on officer training, but the Navy looks at you as an officer first, and a aviator or SWO second.

To answer your second question, you can only go line designators out of NROTC. These are also called the 'unrestricted line' designators, and are Aviation, SWO, Subs or Spec War as you said. NROTC midshipmen can only go restricted line (Intel, Supply, ect) if they are medically disqualified from line positions.

quick correction

Shakey

I'm talkin, G-5...!
pilot
Very true about NROTC. Once you are contraced or recieve a scholarship, then that's it. It can close some doors for you down the road. BDPC/OCS is great because you can get a pilot contract way before any Academy or ROTC Midshipmen.

beuxbunk

Very true about NROTC. Once you are contraced or recieve a scholarship, then that's it. It can close some doors for you down the road. BDPC/OCS is great because you can get a pilot contract way before any Academy or ROTC Midshipmen.

What kind of doors?:(

wyldechild

When you enter the academy or nrotc they take your GI bill away from you. and if you don't graduate from collage then you have to go enlisted for 5 years active or pay the money back.

Shakey

I'm talkin, G-5...!
pilot
And if your going to be really disapointed if you don't get a pilot slot, too bad, you've still got a commitment to fullfill if you're contracted. If you go OCS, but don't pick up a pilot slot right away, turn it down and keep applying until you get what you want.

nocal80

Harriers
pilot
you should try to talk him into BDCP or if he is thinking about USMC, PLC. If he is set on aviation those might be better options for him especially with the distances he would have to go to do the crosstown stuff.