• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Creatine, Glutamine....

ljm9304

From what I understand aviators are not allowed to use Creatine, how about SEALs? Does this mean that if you have ever used it you are disqualified or is there a certain amount of time you have to be off it for?

Is Glutamine also a banned substance?

Anyone know why Creatine, and Glutamine if so, are banned?

scarfacekracker

As far as I know Creatine is not banned. I about a year or so ago they came out with a list of supplements that were not going to be allowed anymore. I will try to find this list and post. I know NorAndro was one of the main supplements that were banned.

ljm9304

Take a look in that link Nuge posted, a member provides a quote from the NAMI website, stating that Creatine is on the banned list. Im not sure if it is just for Aviators or the Navy as a whole

Anyone know about Glutamine?

ljm9304

on a side note, im not sure exactly how hot it gets at fort hood, but i know you are not supposed to use some things in temps above 80, could have very well had something to do with it. But then again i live in AZ so when i think of April i think of low 90s

scarfacekracker

Whenever using supplements it is extremely criticial that you hydrate more then normal. I personally drink 2 - 3 gallons of water aday.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
The biggest thing to remember when taking Creatine is to hydrate. Drink a gallon and a half every day. Its good for your body, and it will keep you from having organ issues/dehydration which is easier to get with the use of Creatine. Glutamine really shouldnt be banned, I would be extremely surprised if it was on any list of controlled substances.

As mentioned in the other post, I think this is for Aircrew ONLY. Here is part of the NOMI Doc...
"Creatine
Background: Although creatine came onto the scene as a performance promoter for the
physically active individual, there are several questions about performance gains and
safety that preclude it being authorized for general use in aircrew at this time. The
benefits of supplementation on performance are limited to specific types of activities.
Preliminary information suggests that high-intensity, short duration activities may benefit
from creatine supplementation. Some examples include weight training, baseball, sprinting,
throwing, jumping, football, and soccer. However, only people with low levels of muscle
creatine will benefit from creatine supplementation. Testimonial reports imply that creatine
supplementation can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, kidney and liver problems, high
blood pressure, and muscle cramps/strains/pulls, and no safety for long-term use has been
shown. As a testimony to its medicinal properties, creatine supplementation has been
carefully prescribed in the medical community and used with success in various
mitochondrial and neuromuscular disorders to increase muscle function and strength.
France actually forbids the sale of any products containing creatine, and Italy allows its use
but only under the strict supervision of a physician and only for certain pathological
conditions. Furthermore, because of poor manufacturing processes and lack of stringent
quality control here in the US, various contaminants present in creatine products (such as
dicyandiamide, creatinine, etc.) may pose a health risk and also preclude recommendation at
this time. Creatine should always be avoided by those who seek to lose weight while
exercising heavily in hot and humid conditions. Preliminary findings indicate that
creatine supplements may selectively reduce plasma volume, which impairs the capacity to
sweat and thus decrease the ability to maintain a normal body temperature during exercise in
hot, steamy conditions. In contrast to high-intensity or anaerobic activities, creatine
supplementation does not improve, and may even worsen, endurance performance.
One study found that marathon runners had poorer performances after creatine loading.
There is one consistent side effect of creatine supplementation - a small weight gain, most
likely from water accumulation, and the effect of this in the aviation environment has not
been studied. Future studies need to address some practical issues. These issues include
development of safe and effective programs to maximize muscle creatine accumulation and
to maintain elevated creatine stores, determination of long term side effects of creatine
supplementation, and assessment of its effects in women and the elderly. In time, as more
studies focus on long term safety issues and quality issues are addressed by the FDA, a safe
U.S. Navy Aeromedical Reference and Waiver Guide Supplements - 13
recommendation on use and dosages might be possible. As mentioned above, the one
promising area at this time is the use of creatine supplementation to restore muscle function
in patients with muscle loss and specific types of nerve and muscle diseases. Creatine
“loading” (20-30 grams/day) has been a common practice among a variety of athletes. More
recent research indicates, however, that much smaller doses of creatine (3 to 5 grams daily
or 1 pound of beef) in excess of the usual intake of 2 grams are equally effective in elevating
muscle creatine and phosphocreatine."

Cobra Commander

Awesome Bill from Dawsonville
pilot
You don't need to take creatine. It helps a little, but the possibility of getting major kidney stones makes creatine not worth it. Plus most of the size you gain in your muscles is water and goes away after a couple days. As far a glutamine is concerned....well I don't know why it would be banned. I take L-Glutamine to help with recovery. I don't know how much it helps but it doesn't have any crazy side effects like creatine. Creatine gets you so dehydrated when it's hot outside it's disgusting.

Bottom line: Get a high quality protien like Isopure and take it with L-Glutamine for recovery. You'll be set.

GMan1976

Banned
Creatine and Glutamine are no-gos. Below are two emails from an email conversation I had with a Doc (MD and MPH) from Naval Safety Center. (I specifically address these supps in my 2nd email)

Here's his info: REMOVED

CDR,
I was reading an article on the Navy policy on supplements in your Summer 2001 issue and a thought occured to me. Why is there a GNC store on almost every base (including Naval Air Stations) if the Navy has a policy against supplementation?
v/r,
(GMAN1976)

(GMAN1976),

Your comments address a situation that has bugged me for many years! Although I can't provide you any definitive answer, I can tell you what I've learned as I've struggled with this (and some related) issues.

It seems that the problem boils down to a matter of civil liberties (believe it, or not) and rules of commerce, though there may be more to it than I am aware. Perhaps a bit of history will help illuminate the situation:
Several years ago, a Navy ship tried to ban tobacco products from the Ship's Store, but was told that it could not do so because tobacco products are not illegal, and so should be available to our personnel so long as they weren't otherwise addressed in Navy Instruction. Complaints were filed against the ship by tobacco lobbyists, some tobacco state senators/representatives, and the ACLU. The end result was that the ship was legally forced to resume sales of tobacco products. Of course, because there is federal law that addresses non-smokers' rights, they could still restrict the smokers to specific areas of the ship.
In the case of supplements, they, too (with a few exceptions) are not illegal in the US, and so supplement vendors have the right to sell the legal ones to military personnel, so long as the vendor wins a contract. This is why GNC can sell their products in our Navy Exchanges.

Regarding Navy Instructions, supplements are only addressed in a few instructions: The instructions that address Special Duty, which includes duty in aviation, submarines and as an astronaut. Those instructions specifically prohibit most forms of self-medication (including supplement use as currently interpreted), particularly when unsupervised by medical authority. So, while the law allows aircrew, submariners and astronauts to have access to supplements, Navy instruction prohibits them from actually using them. There is no such instruction that applies to general duty personnel... yet... but I know that it's in the works. Until we have something akin to the Navy policy and instructions regarding alcohol aboard ships (for example), there is no legal means of limiting sales and use of supplements among our general duty folks.

So, the bottom line is that while the Navy has stated a policy regarding supplement use, that is different from having an instruction, and we need an instruction.

Again: I am not an expert on this topic, but I am reasonably confident that my remarks are not far off the mark. I hope this helps clear up your question. Let me know if you have further questions.

Respectfully,
REMOVED
-----------------------------------------------------------------

CDR,

Thank you so much for your timely response, sir! That does indeed shed some light on the subject and definitely answers my question. Now for one more question, if I may.

Regarding supplementation (specifically among aviation personnel), I understand why the Navy prohibits the use of supplements like Thermogenics and other "fat burners" (due to heart/lung risk, high blood pressure, etc etc). Although, I do not understand why using supplements of naturally occuring substances (e.g. protein, creatine, L-glutamine, amino acids, multivitamins) would be prohibited. How could the Navy even test for such things? I have known many Naval aviators, submariners (I am a prior enlisted Sub guy), and other military members who have never experienced negative effects from these supplements specifically.

Thanks again for your help and answers!

V/r,
(GMAN1976)

(GMAN1976),

Wow... now you're really getting down into the weeds!

First of all, the term 'natural' as applied to supplements and such, has absolutely no relevance whatsoever. Why? Because many 'naturally occurring substances have significant biological activity (they wouldn't be useful, otherwise), and because 'natural' absolutely does not mean 'safe'. Furthermore, many of those 'natural' substances can have interactions with medically recognized products and with each other, and some of those interactions can be potentially deadly. In the case of Special Duty personnel, there are additional factors (extreme pressure differentials, hypoxia, etc.) that often alter how human physiology responds to a given substance... so that something that is relatively harmless at sea level may be very toxic at 4 atmospheres, for example. 'Natural' in this context is nothing more than a marketing ploy that tells you nothing about the effectiveness, safety or any other meaningful characteristic of the product. Think about it: The vast majority of substances that you and I think of as 'medications' were originally identified as 'natural' products... the primary difference is that the 'medications' are purer and more concentrated than the 'naturally occurring forms. Common examples of medications that originally were 'natural' range all the way from aspirin to digitalis (used to control the heart), to various cancer drugs (think of Tamoxifen)... and any of those can kill you! Even some of the most common and familiar of 'natural' substances can be deadly: You can kill yourself by drinking too much water, or by eating too much salt! And, oh by the way, many of the things that we think of as 'poisons' in their 'natural' form are used as 'medications' when used in their purer forms and in the correct dose (digitalis is again a good example).

So, 'natural', 'naturally occurring and the like are irrelevant terms (except to the marketers!).

Regarding most of the substances you've mentioned (protein, creatine, L-glutamine, amino acids, multivitamins), the risk associated with most of them is probably very low. In fact, some of these items are in fact authorized for aviation personnel, with nothing but a note on the flight physical... creatine is a bit different... it is in a higher risk category, and is not authorized. If you're interested in the official NAMI posture on supplements, there is a very good document on aviation policy (not Navy wide) you can read at the following link; it has information on lots of supplements:
http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/NAMI/WaiverGuideTopics/pdfs/Waiver Guide - Supplements.pdf
Regarding Navy testing for supplements: I seriously doubt that the Navy tests for many of these (though I guess I wouldn't be surprised if they were testing for some of the 'natural' psychoactive compounds, and/or anabolic steroids). But the point isn't that these supplements are necessarily illegal... it's that they haven't been proven safe or that they have known risks associated with them. The Navy seeks to restrict supplement use as a means of minimizing risk to its personnel, equipment and operations.

At the risk of sounding like I'm pinging on you, your last comment clearly illustrates one of the most frustrating aspects of this discussion! You wrote that you know, "...military members who have never experienced negative effects from these supplements... ". Well, you probably know people who use tobacco, but haven't developed cancer or emphysema, or who don't use seat belts, but haven't been killed in a car accident. But does the fact that you know folks like that mean that tobacco use is safe, or that seat belts aren't a good idea??!!?? The point is that if the risk of something happening may be relatively small, but if the ramifications for the risk actually happening is large, then it's bad news if it happens even once (in other words: Once you develop lung cancer, it doesn't matter how many times you smoked without developing it!).

It's all about risk management!

Sorry to be so long-winded... it's a curse.

REMOVED

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Wow...
I am not only impressed that he covered all the topics, but that he also spent that much time to write such a detailed email. I don't know if you happen to have a high rank and that's why, but if that's any indication as to the thoroughness of responses one can expect, that is impressive.

dodge

You can do anything once.
pilot
rank

the CDR obviously understood the power of ensigns and jopa, hence his lengthy and timely response.