• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Creatine, Glutamine....

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Responding to the two emails here that GMan posted...

While the use of supplements hasn't been proven to be safe (and they never will), neither have they been proven to be unsafe (again, won't happen). However, one thing about naval aviation is that each year we lose several aviators in mishaps and crashes. Does this mean that we should stop flying?

I would suggest that tobacco use is SIGNIFICANTLY more harmful, and therefore, more dangerous than the use of any supplements, or even naval aviation in general. So the question I have is, why don't we have a no-smoking rule for all navy personnel, and naval aviation personnel specifically?

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
I would suggest that tobacco use is SIGNIFICANTLY more harmful, and therefore, more dangerous than the use of any supplements, or even naval aviation in general. So the question I have is, why don't we have a no-smoking rule for all navy personnel, and naval aviation personnel specifically?

From the email...

Several years ago, a Navy ship tried to ban tobacco products from the Ship's Store, but was told that it could not do so because tobacco products are not illegal, and so should be available to our personnel so long as they weren't otherwise addressed in Navy Instruction. Complaints were filed against the ship by tobacco lobbyists, some tobacco state senators/representatives, and the ACLU. The end result was that the ship was legally forced to resume sales of tobacco products. Of course, because there is federal law that addresses non-smokers' rights, they could still restrict the smokers to specific areas of the ship.
In the case of supplements, they, too (with a few exceptions) are not illegal in the US, and so supplement vendors have the right to sell the legal ones to military personnel, so long as the vendor wins a contract.

Or are you saying the Navy should make an instruction specifically saying for Navy personel they are banned?

thenuge

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
Responding to the two emails here that GMan posted...

While the use of supplements hasn't been proven to be safe (and they never will), neither have they been proven to be unsafe (again, won't happen). However, one thing about naval aviation is that each year we lose several aviators in mishaps and crashes. Does this mean that we should stop flying?

thank you

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Or are you saying the Navy should make an instruction specifically saying for Navy personel they are banned?
That is exactly what I am saying. Hence, why I said all Navy personnel. That email was addressing a specific action by a ship.

thorman

pilot
i wish someone could show me a maradmin or something official. i posted this on another post recently. a few weeks ago i had my flight physical (at nas meridian) and the lady who does a health screening told me my creatine was recently found to be okay and i could take it.

GMan1976

Banned
i wish someone could show me a maradmin or something official. i posted this on another post recently. a few weeks ago i had my flight physical (at nas meridian) and the lady who does a health screening told me my creatine was recently found to be okay and i could take it.

Navy Safety Center Online Article
"Navy Bureau of Medicine and Surgery (BUMED) addressed the issue of dietary supplements, flight personnel and NATOPS requirements in a January 1999 message, which said, in part, "BUMED has not approved the use of dietary supplements and herbal medicines in aircrew members. Flight surgeons should not approve these substances for anyone on flight status until more information is available."

Official NOMI Navy Aeromedical Guide

Look for Creatine, Amino Acids, etc under: "CLASS C Supplements (Not authorized for use by any aviation personnel)"

There's your "official" document in writing....