• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cross Commissioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

josejimmenez

Selected for SNFO
Hey Fellas,
Right now it looks like my best route into the cockpit is through Marine PLC, but I'm Navy at heart. Anyone know what the deal is with cross commissioning? Like Can it be done? How long do I have to wait? Whats the process? Will there be career Penalties?
Thanx
idea_125.gif

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
If you have a Marine air contract, they're not going to let you go very easily. If youtry to switch either right before or right after commissioning, the Navy probably won't honor your air contract. If you wait 'till after flight school, the Marine Corps won't kiss all its investment goodbye without a struggle. Either way, I wouldn't start off in the Marine Corps with the intention to switch. Interservice transfers are a very irregular thing. Some years they're easy, others there are absolutely none. I do know a lot of Marines who switched to Navy reserves after finishing their AD obligations, but that's a different beast altogether.

USMC1371

I would not join the Marine Corps at all with the intention on switching over due to the fact you are going to put more much time, effort, blood, sweat, and tears into the Marine Corps than you will in the Navy and if you are a Sailor at heart it is just not worth the struggle through OCS, TBS, flight school, FRS, and so on. At least look into the Corps though, you may find you like more about it than you realize. Good luck.

Semper Fi

josejimmenez

Selected for SNFO
Well I was figuring on doing the 6-8 years after being winged, and than trying to go Swabbie,,,how feasable is that?

USMC1371

Well, by the time you do 6-8 years after being winged you are gonna have 8-10 total years logically. By that time you will have already been in the Corps a long time and you are comfortable in a community (whichever aircraft community it might be) and you will already have a reputation, friends, and so on in that community. Going into the Naval Reserve after your time on active would seem feasible, but if I was gonna spend 8-10 years of my life in one branch of the military, I would prob stick with that branch and do my 20 or so. Like I said, if you are a Sailor at heart, I would just go Navy straight off the bat. Like I said earlier, at least do some research into the Corps, the training, the communities, life, etc. Knowledge is power and the more you know, the better decision you can make. Good luck.

Semper Fi

Status
Not open for further replies.