• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Crossing the finish line... running, walking or crawling... (Reserve Retirement Process)

Or NAKED GUN? “I haven’t had this much sex since I was a Boy Scout Leader! I mean, at the time, I was very sexually active…”

DangerousDan

I could tell you but I would have to kill you
Most despondent person I ever met was a post squadron SELRES CDR on a one year MOB to DJ, running base ops. That dude looked miserable.

I actually enjoyed the year I spent in Djibouti back in 2014-2015. It was much better than spending another year working 16 hours a day in Iraq like I did back in 2008. My favorite part was the Wardroom with the 2 beers a day.

DangerousDan

I could tell you but I would have to kill you
And that's all she wrote. Today is technically my last day as a SELRES, but the RAPIDS labs aren't open on weekends, so I dropped off my CAC at the NOAA office in Seattle, and picked up my retired ID. At this point I have to say I'm just glad to be done. It was a tough choice, because after all the screwiness that was my career, I had somehow stumbled my way back onto the Golden Path. I turned down what would have been a 15-month XO ride which would have been a basically-guaranteed-if-you-don't-screw-up #1 EP, which would have set me up well to buck for command and O-6 if I'd stayed in.

But I looked at the path ahead if I'd wanted to make O-6 and flag, and realized my life wouldn't have been my own, my parents aren't getting any younger, and what would I get at the end by holding down essentially a second full-time job? Statistically probably not stars, and so it was a choice to not kneecap my career in tech for an extra $15K on my pension. There's other places and ways to earn money. So in that case, rip the Band-Aid off and be done, because every hour more I put in is an hour I'm not putting into either caring for myself or becoming a more proficient geek.

Here's to 20+ more years in the tech sector . . .

Congratulations on finishing out your career.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I actually enjoyed the year I spent in Djibouti back in 2014-2015. It was much better than spending another year working 16 hours a day in Iraq like I did back in 2008. My favorite part was the Wardroom with the 2 beers a day.
Bleah. I was there in 2007-08 when a lot of folks were still living in tents (CLUville was being built) and half the base worked out of the old adobe Legionnaire huts. Three Tuskers a day wasn't much compensation. The DFAC and the gym were pretty nice, though.