• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cruise Q's

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Hey everyone, I just had a few questions for those of you who have been on 2nd class cruises before....

I'm going OUTCONUS on a CV (i don't think that violates OPSEC, right?) and I really want to see everything on the ship. This is a 2/c surface cruise, and I'm just wondering what to expect. Any recommendations as to what I should try and do while underway? Any gouge about what to/not to do as a new MID on a fleet ship? Also, I really want to take some pictures while aboard(flight ops maybe?) but I don't know if that is permitted (?).

Also, has anyone gone through the shellback ceremony as a MID? Do they include MIDs in this, and if so, what exactly do they do? :confused:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ask questions. Ask lots of questions even if you think they're stupid and you have no idea where to begin. Don't be that guy who spends the whole time in his rack. Also spend some time on the bridge with the QMs. It will pay dividends in your Navigation classes next year, trust me.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Do not be that midi who acts like he/she knows everything. Definetly ask questions and get involved with whatever div they assign you too. The sooner the guys see that you are there to learn and be part of the team, the more likely they are to take to you and show you cooler things!

Nittany was right, DO NOT waste your time in the rack.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Flight Ops pictures should be fine, but ask anyways to check on your specific ships policy. Just don't be that person who uses their flash during night ops...

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
well I most definitely don't know everything :) so asking questions is no problem. Any especially cool things to see/interesting places to go on a carrier (aside from the obvious)?

Another more general cruise question (having not gone on CORTRAMID), I was just curious how you guys kept your uniforms from getting all crumpled up while in transit to the ship. I was told to not wear my whites (or even carry DOD ID on my person) on the international flight to go meet the ship. Any help would be awesome. Thanks for the advice guys!

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Things may have changed, but when I was going through, we weren't even allowed to bring our sea bags with us if we were flying international. Get a suit bag, and take that along with your regular suitcase. You should be able to hang it up in a standup storage compartment on the plane (Ask a flight attendant, they should be able to help you out.) You do need to bring your military ID with you. If you don't have it on your person, don't put it in any bag that leaves your sight.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
MIDNJAC said:
Another more general cruise question (having not gone on CORTRAMID), I was just curious how you guys kept your uniforms from getting all crumpled up while in transit to the ship.

Im going in my first class cruise and will be staying in the states. Im going to roll up my uniform bag and then put it in my sea bag. That should work.

beau

I would sit back a few days and observe before asking alot of questions.......that way if you havent had your question anwsered by watching....you will at least know who to ask. Be good with the timing if asking like the CO or AirBoss questions (obviously). Be proactive, but know when not to ask questions or get involved.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
MIDNJAC said:
well I most definitely don't know everything :) so asking questions is no problem. Any especially cool things to see/interesting places to go on a carrier (aside from the obvious)?

Another more general cruise question (having not gone on CORTRAMID), I was just curious how you guys kept your uniforms from getting all crumpled up while in transit to the ship. I was told to not wear my whites (or even carry DOD ID on my person) on the international flight to go meet the ship. Any help would be awesome. Thanks for the advice guys!

Keep you DOD Id and your orders with your carry on. If you loose them, it would suck a lot! But unless things have changed, don't wear your uniform on the plane.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
bch said:
Keep you DOD Id and your orders with your carry on. If you loose them, it would suck a lot! But unless things have changed, don't wear your uniform on the plane.

will do.....and i agree

also, should I bring a laptop or anything? And what about emails and stuff like that while underway? Is that possible?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
You bring your laptop to the ship on cruise, you risk getting it stolen- Id say theres greater risk of this staying in berthing then if you'd be in a stateroom. Internet availability for you on ship will depend on which ship it is, and the command's policy. You should be able to find a internet place where the ship pulls into port (at a US base at least).

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
zippy said:
You bring your laptop to the ship on cruise, you risk getting it stolen- Id say theres greater risk of this staying in berthing then if you'd be in a stateroom. Internet availability for you on ship will depend on which ship it is, and the command's policy. You should be able to find a internet place where the ship pulls into port (at a US base at least).

its too bad to hear that even in the fleet, ppl cant be trusted, but thats kinda what I was afraid of. Thanks for the warning

I went on a Navy 2/c cruise last summer even though I'm going to OCS this summer. I was on an LSD (amphib) and was in San Diego for two weeks over the 4th. We had internet right on board and usually available. But, realize most of the crew was out and about on libo because they had just gotten back from a Pacific cruise. They have irons on board, so don't worry about your uniform. You should be in poopysuits all day anyway, and those are supposed to get wrinkly, wet, dirty, painted, etc, etc, etc. That's why they are *working* uniforms.

As for a laptop, I agree to save it for another time. You should be too busy anyway and the ship's email should be fine enough. Take pictures of everything you can, don't sleep all day, try and get to as many departments as possible and talk to everyone. I was with deck division and they get tasked with all the random stuff onbaord a ship. I spent my first day painting p-ways and doing brightwork and although it sucked, it gave me a great appreciation for the E-1s and E-2s. I also got to know a few First Classes and Chiefs well, even went onboard another amphib to help out hauling chain, cable, anchors, pipes, and other random stuff to our ship.

Remember, these cruises are for you and you alone. Whatever you put into them is what you'll get out of them. I realize now that had I stayed Navy, I would have had no problem onboard a ship, and I appreciate and respect my peers going SWO. Most of all, have fun!