• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CVN Gary Hart

phrogpilot73

Nice how the AF manages to gloss over "overflight rights" and things that make carriers practical. Not to mention that there are tankers on the carriers, and they can be replenished at sea. The Navy doesn't need the AF as much as the AF thinks.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Nice how the AF manages to gloss over "overflight rights" and things that make carriers practical. Not to mention that there are tankers on the carriers, and they can be replenished at sea. The Navy doesn't need the AF as much as the AF thinks.

The tankers on carriers do not compare to the strategic refueling assets of the AF.

ftrooper

pilot
The AF Tankers make it easier to do business, certainly, but Naval Air would still be able to operate at range without AF tanking and with internal tanking only. I'm sure it would hurt, but it could still be done. And don't forget, the Marine KC130s can go anywhere the AF tankers can and more, and provide give to get strike packages/ CAS players downrange in addition to the organic tankers. Is it perfect, no, but it works.The AF would rather take the Navy's carrier money and waste it on frivolous crap that does little to support the Ground Combat Element...and as always is pretty ruthless in making that happen. Maybe the Army can take them back (Army Air Force again, anyone?)

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, but what about the CVN Corey Hart?

h18079gvo26.jpg

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Senior officers are struggling to find the money, with no assurance of success.

I hate how theres never enough $$ to get around and the amount of money we spend relative to our GDP is extra-ordinarily low compared to years past.

I know that compared to other nations we spend ALOT more, but still.....

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wow this sounds so familiar to the debates which killed the USS United States back in the 40s. Korea proved the Air Force wrong and I don't doubt they'll be continually proved wrong. Or maybe we need another revolt of the admirals?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Either rely on the organic assets in an ESG (to include an Aegis cruiser), or operate closely to a Carrier Battle Group. The radars on the big deck amphib are actually pretty decent...

That leaves a gaping hole for low fliers to sneak up on you and give you ASCM up your unsuspecting tail, just ask the Brits how they did in the Falklands without AEW. Their quick fix was this:

seaking2.jpg

....it is still in use, and nowhere near as capable as an E-2.

I think there wil have to be quite a leap in technology to have helicopter-borne AEW even come close to comparing with fixed wing.

And don't forget the lesser payload of VSTOL aircraft, including the F-35B. Half the internal payload at much less range doesn't really win an argument for smaller decks replacing bigger ones, especially when many others are moving to bigger decks after going ski-jump/VSTOL in the last 30 years.

MasterBates

It apparently has more capability that you are aware of..

Not a primary mission, but can do much like the brit bird can, to fill gaps in surface ship coverage.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It apparently has more capability that you are aware of..

Not a primary mission, but can do much like the brit bird can, to fill gaps in surface ship coverage.

AEW is not its primary mission, that means it probably has a fraction of the capability of an E-2. I would not bet a carrier and its air wing on getting coverage from a platform like that.......:eek: