• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CVN Gary Hart

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
In short, manpower.
A DDG can do what a CVN can insofar as sustained precision attack within certain geographic limits (but it is expanding).
5300 man ship vs. 200 man ship.
A CG magazine with 500 precision rounds translates to over 100 sorties of loaded out Rhinos.
Tanker hits every 7 days vs. independent ops.
VLS Tomahawk still there as more punch.
50+ CG/DDG vs. 4-5 deployed carriers.
It's a manpower beancounter's wet dream.

Mobile nature? look at the CVOA's in the NAG, everybody knows the limitations/parameters of the CVOA. Small boys have much greater geographic flexibility.
You said it, cost.

I'm not saying small-boys will ever supersede CVN's, at least not in the immediate future, but there is a RMA coming for SWO-daddies.

That's the kind of thing I was getting at, what I wanted to see.

Thanks.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
LCS program tanking for now....

WNUS_5-62_mk45_mod4_pic.jpg

That's the beauty of ERGM. ERGM capable 5" guns are already here in Mayport. Hell, put one on an FFG in the MK-13 hole and you've got a potent surface combatant from shit.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Is it me, or is there something inherently wrong with hard hats and dress uniforms?
True, MB.

As a side note, I'm a fan of bunting. I'm talking Great White Fleet stuff, some heinous gold colored shit draping over the bow, and bunting everywhere. I mean have it on all the time, North Sea in winter, address the bunting bos'n.

Conny1.jpg

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
On the subject of Battleships and large surface combatants, I have heard rumors that the Marines would really like a battleship for support in Amphib ops.

Can and Marines validate this rumor?