• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CWO pilot board

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Good question. I've been wondering when we'll start seeing these guys.

Penguin

Respect the WEZ
pilot
We had a safety standdown last Monday, and our skipper announced that one of our AW1s was selected for the transition. No idea when he leaves for P'cola.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Does anyone when the results from the CWO pilot board are going to be released?

http://www.npc.navy.mil/NR/rdonlyres/80B4ED92-654A-4B1F-8982-F49326DA3967/0/NAV06241.txt

The first batch. Should be interesting. I am looking forward to teaching/working with them. I am interested to see how this will evolve the future of my community. With a few of these guys around taking the "3rd assistant ground safety officer" jobs and flying their @sses off, I wonder where this will take JOPA in the next decade or so.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
WOW. That is fvcking awesome. I cant wait to work with these guys. I view them as the cream of the crop to have been selected for the program. Also, my dad was a CWO4 so I may have a biased opinion. Nonetheless, its gonna be exciting to be working with the Navy's first CWO naval aviators. Wait, we didnt have Warrant aviators in the past, did we?

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
My grandfather retired as a CWO-2 and he was a pilot during WW II. I'm not sure if he was a CWO during the war or not though. I just know he never wanted to be an officer. :D

East

东部
Contributor
Concur, great programm.
Royal Netherlands Navy killed that programm in the 80s as the majority of the flightcrew o/b airframes were officers while the planecommander could be enlisted. Strange situations arose on outstations where the pilots had to sleep on bunks with the enlisted and the most junior warfareofficers were able to enjoy themselves in the officersmess, debriefing the flight without (a part of) the flightdeckcrew...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wonder where this will take JOPA in the next decade or so.

Not very far, I would suspect. I don't know what the end game goal is as to how many of these guys would be in each squadron, but it would surprise me if it was more than 2-3. Even if this program survives for 10 years, which I doubt, the number of them in sea-duty billets can't be that high, based on the number selected this FY.

Brett

Stubby

Ask the Chief
Not very far, I would suspect. I don't know what the end game goal is as to how many of these guys would be in each squadron, but it would surprise me if it was more than 2-3. Even if this program survives for 10 years, which I doubt, the number of them in sea-duty billets can't be that high, based on the number selected this FY.

The Navy has said that the selection numbers are low because this is the pilot year for it. Presumably, if it works out, the selection numbers will increase. I must admit though, like you, I doubt the program will be adopted in earnest. I don't want to minimize the achievement of those selected... this is an outstanding and enviable achievement, but I suspect that soon it will go the way of enlisted pilots (and warrant pilots) of World War II. Something old farts talk about saying "Remember when...".

In the mean time... these guys get to live the dream!

Incidentally, we already have a few CWO NFO's in the VP community.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Presumably, if it works out, the selection numbers will increase. I must admit though, like you, I doubt the program will be adopted in earnest.

Yeah...this seems to be the consensus opinion around here. Too much institutional momentum going to see CWO's integrated in a major way. Not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing...but there it is.

Congrats to all selected...definitely a great opportunity!