• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Damn....this is one lucky girl..

BlackDog421

Life's a garden. Dig it.
so you're at 30,000 feet, and you wake up in your paraglider and you're encased in ice flying around, and you're like "damn, this sucks."

I know, I wonder what she was thinking about on the way down. "I'm cold."

A British team member earlier this month survived an attack by two wild eagles which sent her canopy plummeting while flying in the same area ahead of the championships.

Not a good month for paraglider aviation...

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
You forgot the part about trying to out fly a giant storm without power, being caught between two merging storm cells, being sucked up to 30,000ft and having the oxygen sucked away from your brain the entire time, your last conscience thought probably being "well at least I will be asleep when I slam into the great barrier reef..." THEN waking up 10-20 minutes later in a haze that at first you thought was just your groggy head, but then realizing that you are trapped IN FREAKING ICE, like you just battled mister freeze, slowly waiting for the ice to melt, finding the strength to not panic and forcing yourself to regain control of your glider, before you plummet to your death... That lady has icicles...

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
...and was rendered unconscious for almost an hour.

Jebus...

If you've never regained consciousness before, it's a very strange experience...it's kind of like waking up from a night's sleep and slowly realizing that the dream you had 2 dreams ago was reality.

Great story.

thull

You forgot the part about trying to out fly a giant storm without power, being caught between two merging storm cells, being sucked up to 30,000ft and having the oxygen sucked away from your brain the entire time, your last conscience thought probably being "well at least I will be asleep when I slam into the great barrier reef..." THEN waking up 10-20 minutes later in a haze that at first you thought was just your groggy head, but then realizing that you are trapped IN FREAKING ICE, like you just battled mister freeze, slowly waiting for the ice to melt, finding the strength to not panic and forcing yourself to regain control of your glider, before you plummet to your death... That lady has icicles...

this sucks a lot. why didn't I go into real estate??

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Jebus...

If you've never regained consciousness before, it's a very strange experience...it's kind of like waking up from a night's sleep and slowly realizing that the dream you had 2 dreams ago was reality.

Great story.

Yeah and thats after like 2 minutes of being out waking up on the floor. Imagine that crap up at 30,000 feet in ice

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
Spy,

In slower aircraft, birds can cause massive airframe damage, and FOD engines out. I lost an engine by taking a seagull down the left intake after it hit and broke my windshield and took off my left mirror in a 60B..

IN faster aircraft, it can cause loss of the aircraft just by damaging the airframe. Can KILL aircrew if you take one thru the canpopy.

Birds SUCK!

Right on, MasterBates. As an A4 instructor in Meridian, where we had lots of birds flying around, I used to tell students to assume any size bird impacting the canopy could kill them, and that any bird down the intake could take out your only engine.

I also told them to always pull up if they saw a bird on a collision course (which would only be about a one second notice), because, when the bird sees you, they always tuck in their wings and dive down. They never pull up. Or at least I never saw one pulling up; they always went head down.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wasn't there an F-8 pilot who ejected and got caught back in a thuderstorm for a long time, like 40 minutes, and landed a considerable distance from where he ejected back in the 50's or 60's? Has this been covered already on AW? Too lazy to search......;)

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
At least she could count that para-gliding hop as an altitude chamber run for physiology quals.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
At least she could count that para-gliding hop as an altitude chamber run for physiology quals.

HM2 Schmuckatelli: And this is our Pressure Chamber, it can be pressurized to 24,000 feet. So have you ever been that high before?

Ewa Wisnerska: Yeah, in my last job...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HM2 Schmuckatelli: And this is our Pressure Chamber, it can be pressurized to 24,000 feet. So have you ever been that high before?

Ewa Wisnerska: Yeah, in my last job...

Or she could be reminiscing about that rave she went to in Sydney last year.

Brett

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Right on, MasterBates. As an A4 instructor in Meridian, where we had lots of birds flying around, I used to tell students to assume any size bird impacting the canopy could kill them, and that any bird down the intake could take out your only engine.

I also told them to always pull up if they saw a bird on a collision course (which would only be about a one second notice), because, when the bird sees you, they always tuck in their wings and dive down. They never pull up. Or at least I never saw one pulling up; they always went head down.
They still teach that these days. To paraphrase an IP after we shot right through the middle of a flock of turkey vultures on the VR103something - "You know, I'm thinking of letting my ONAV qual expire; I'm really getting sick of these close calls . . .":icon_tong

snake020

Contributor
Spy,

In slower aircraft, birds can cause massive airframe damage, and FOD engines out. I lost an engine by taking a seagull down the left intake after it hit and broke my windshield and took off my left mirror in a 60B..

IN faster aircraft, it can cause loss of the aircraft just by damaging the airframe. Can KILL aircrew if you take one thru the canpopy.

Birds SUCK!

Unfortunately my base knows all too well...

http://www.af.mil/news/airman/1297/bash2.htm