• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Degree Question.

batesdl

How does the board look at a degree from University of Phoenix and if your GPA is extremely high? I have my BS and MBA from UOP. Just curious.

Thanks,

Dan

m26

Contributor
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference."

Unless you want to go back and get a second degree from Harvard, all you can do is apply now. Do the best with everything you have control over. If you don't get picked up, find a way to improve and try again.

batesdl

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference."

Unless you want to go back and get a second degree from Harvard, all you can do is apply now. Do the best with everything you have control over. If you don't get picked up, find a way to improve and try again.

I like the way you think...

Dan

ltedge46

Lost in the machine
None
Do the best with everything you have control over. If you don't get picked up, find a way to improve and try again.

That's the best advice I've heard in a long time. My degree is in Archaeology and I'm an NFO (vision kept me out of the pilot running).

swerdna

None
Contributor
How does the board look at a degree from University of Phoenix and if your GPA is extremely high? I have my BS and MBA from UOP. Just curious.

Thanks,

Dan

Did you do the online courses? I think they also have traditional courses with an instructor and classroom.

I've heard that the Navy doesn't certify the online degrees.

But you might as well apply, like the other guys said. Don't have anything to lose.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
I've heard that the Navy doesn't certify the online degrees.

That statement is 100% - FALSE. I have a BS in Business Management from the University of Phoenix (all done online).

Did my officer recruiter laugh at me when I told him I wanted to apply for pilot with an online degree from the University of Phoenix? Yes.

Did I tell him to try anyway even though he though the chances of me getting picked up were slim to none? Yes.

I will be starting advanced in June. Any questions?

However, I am prior enlisted and I'm sure they are more lenient toward priors than others off the street.

The Renegade

LT, SC, USN
That statement is 100% - FALSE. I have a BS in Business Management from the University of Phoenix (all done online).

^^^Ditto! Same degree and school for me, except the first half was done traditional (in a class room) and the other half was online (last min. IA deployment). My Navy e-record now CERTIFIES me as a college grad with 17 years of education and no longer a H.S. grad with 12.

batesdl

Both online and traditional.

I am prior enlisted as well with 4 years in the Navy. I think that with my numbers I have as good of a shot as any. Thanks.

Thats all that matters, you got that degree.

Dan

swerdna

None
Contributor

Did my officer recruiter laugh at me when I told him I wanted to apply for pilot with an online degree from the University of Phoenix? Yes.

Did I tell him to try anyway even though he though the chances of me getting picked up were slim to none? Yes.

I will be starting advanced in June. Any questions?

However, I am prior enlisted and I'm sure they are more lenient toward priors than others off the street.

Is this a new policy? I knew a guy who went took UP online courses and the Navy wouldn't certify it.

The VA also told me that online courses aren't certifiable for the GI Bill.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is this a new policy? I knew a guy who went took UP online courses and the Navy wouldn't certify it.

The VA also told me that online courses aren't certifiable for the GI Bill.

I know a guy who's pursuing a degree on-line on the GI Bill. Sounds like you talked to wrong person.

swerdna

None
Contributor
I know a guy who's pursuing a degree on-line on the GI Bill. Sounds like you talked to wrong person.

I guess so. I'm starting my last quarter on Monday, but will be sure to let others know.

I could've been done about a year ago if I'd taken an online school. Lesson learned.

Thanks.