• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Deployment of F/A-18F

JAC01

I was curious about how many 18F squadrons there will eventually be. Anyone know? From what I can see, some of the Tomcat squadrons are going to the E version, so it isn't a 1-for-1 transition I guess. Anyway, any info?

B

Blutonski816

There will be 2 Superhornet Squadrons for every CVW.. one 2 seat and one single seat...

there are only two Tomcat squadrons who have gone to one-seaters...

VFA-14 and VFA-143... they both came from CVWs with 2 Tomcat squadrons (speaking in terms of the pre-transition era).... but the other squadrons will be transitioning to 2-seaters....

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
So what is a new airwing (on paper) supposed to look like? How many of each type of aircraft?

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
There will be 2 Superhornet Squadrons for every CVW.. one 2 seat and one single seat...

there are only two Tomcat squadrons who have gone to one-seaters...

VFA-14 and VFA-143... they both came from CVWs with 2 Tomcat squadrons (speaking in terms of the pre-transition era).... but the other squadrons will be transitioning to 2-seaters....

Actually VF-31 will also transition to F/A-18Es once they and -213 get back from deployment...

JAC01-- I'm thinking there will be 9 -F squadrons after -213 and -32 are done... 5 in Oceana, 3 in Lemoore, one in Japan. I could be forgetting one... don't know the left coast guys so well.

navyao

With 14, 143 and now 31 flying the E mod, there's gotta be a lot of NFO's looking for billets? I don't get that, the two man crew of the Tomcat has been so beneficial for CAS and SCAR missions, why not keep all the former VF squadrons as 2-man crews?

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
So what is a new airwing (on paper) supposed to look like? How many of each type of aircraft?

From Naval Aviation Vision 2020:

The notional CVW of the future is as follows:
- 44 Strike Fighter (F/A-18, JSF) aircraft
- 4 - 12 Joint-Unmanned Combat Air System (J-UCAS) aircraft
- 5 EA-18G Airborne Electronic Attack (AEA) aircraft
- 5 E-2D Advanced Hawkeye Aircraft
- 20 MH-60R/S helicopters (at least 6 will be operated from CSG cruisers, destroyers, and Combat Logistics Force (CLF) ships)

Additionally, two Carrier Onboard Delivery (COD) aircraft will support the air wing and CSG.

FYI, for the newbies, CSG = Carrier Strike Group.

Meat's opinion: 44 strike fighters = 1 E squadron, 1 F squadron and 2 C/JSF squadrons.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
With 14, 143 and now 31 flying the E mod, there's gotta be a lot of NFO's looking for billets? I don't get that, the two man crew of the Tomcat has been so beneficial for CAS and SCAR missions, why not keep all the former VF squadrons as 2-man crews?

That is a simple question to answer. $$$$.

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
And even for the not so newbie. I still hear people still call it a carrier battle group. But those people are WRONG.

orly.jpg

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yup, just like The Boat, RAG and CAG. But other than shoes, who cares? :D
Maybe so, but policy papers, doctrine, and strategy aren't written or developed, respectively, based on the fundamental definitions of the terms boat, RAG, or CAG. A CSG is fundamentally different than a CVBG, as is an ESG compared to the ARG.