• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Direct commission lateral into aviation

crusin2navy

here's a new one that I haven't seen on here.. just swore in Ensign for Reserves, supply corps. already commissioned and 26. ever hear of anyone Lateralling into aviation from direct commission programs and being successful. the requirement says commissioned before age 27 correct? hey i'm already commissioned. how would this work if it is even possible? skip OCS b/c i'm already barred?

Nose

pilot
I went to LSO school with a guy who started his career as a Naval Engineer. They direct commissioned him into the USNR as a EDO. After a year, his CO (an A-6 guy) saw how sharp he was and recommended he apply for a Desig. change and try to fly. It worked.

I asked him once "Is there any career implication being a DC guy in aviation?"

He thought about it for a second.

"I can't march."

He ended up as a CO of a hornet squadron. (Okay, he wasn't a REAL CO, just a reserve CO, but still.)

Nose

crusin2navy

yeah

I emailed my recruiter and he said for me to go to www.npc.navy.mil and look under the boards section. Apparently, there is a redesignation process to aviation student. I haven't been able to locate it. He also suggested calling an aviation detailer but I have to have a BOL account or something to do that. any thoughts? i emailed the webmaster to see if he had any hints on where I could find the aviation student information.

That's a cool story about the EDO guy. most direct commission guys are into their 30's or so.. I just lucked out and got in at 25. i'm 26 1/2 now so I guess i'd better make a move fast.. haha

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
I asked him once "Is there any career implication being a DC guy in aviation?"

He thought about it for a second.

"I can't march."

He ended up as a CO of a hornet squadron. (Okay, he wasn't a REAL CO, just a reserve CO, but still.)
He also never got the gouge on proper uniforms. The first time he had to wear Dinner Dress White Jacket (not chokers), he wore white shoes and pants as well. There was a lot of pointing and laughing, and it took him a long time to live that one down....

I was an instructor at NSAWC with him, and he is the one (and only) DIRCOM I've ever heard of that made the transition - and that was 20 something years ago. Could it be done today? I guess, but I wouldn't hazard a guess on where to begin.

-Milhouse

p.s. I know (hope) you were being tongue-in-cheek, but being a Reserve squadron commander can be even more challenging than a RegNav squadron - in a Reserve squadron, you can easy have 7-10 O-5s, and pretty much everyone else an O-4. No JOPA, lots of opinions.... :icon_tong

crusin2navy

I'm just guessing that you dont have to go through a commissioning program since you're technically already commissioned? wow what a way to skip the BS eh ? i'm kidding of course OCS is a great way to get introduced to the military. I just happen to be a rare breed of us who just raised my hand and BAM- 0-1 instantly ! I'd even go to OCS if they made me truly "earn" my commission and take a run at a flight slot but hey lets just see if it's possible yet... this could be interesting...

crusin2navy

still in the works-just looking at all the options avail. as I see that aviation is under-manned right now. there is a Dual-designator program to go aviation first and then medical flight surgeon later I've seen too. I'm continuing to take my classes and prepare for the MCAT, I think it's probably just a rush i'm going through after seeing the Blue Angels at an awesome air show this past weekend and thinking to myself hey I might as well look into the options... but yeah My heart lies in medicine, but I can't deny that aviation is a love true and dear to me.

Nose

pilot
I know (hope) you were being tongue-in-cheek, but being a Reserve squadron commander can be even more challenging than a RegNav squadron - in a Reserve squadron, you can easy have 7-10 O-5s, and pretty much everyone else an O-4. No JOPA, lots of opinions.... :icon_tong

I wasn't. I split my time almost 1/2 and 1/2 USN/USNR. I was in good and bad squadrons on both sides and I can tell you that:

1. Competetion to screen for command in USNR is not even close to what it is on active duty.
2. Demand and responsibility USN/USNR doesn't compare.
3. In a USNR squadron, almost every pilot has a) thousands of hours in model, b)a couple of cruises and c)weapons school/NSAWC/RAG instructor time under their belt. No nuggets, ever.

Nose

PS, in the Navy (and even in the reserves) we don't have "Squadron Commanders" (except for at the Commodore level), we have "Commanding Officers."

BourneID

pilot
One of the NFOs on my first crew I was on, was a prior supply guy, not sure if he was DCO guy or what, but he made the transition to NFO, and is now on his Department head tour.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Harmon.jpg

crusin2navy

actually what i'm hoping to do is keep my options open while applying to med school and hoping to get into one and if that doesn't work out hopefully keeping NFO or somethign on the back burner to segway into until my time limit is up. by the way... if i'm reserves but not active duty am I still considered for a waiver after age 27 ? hope so.

S.O.B.

pilot
There's an FRS IP at HSC-2 that was a Male Navy nurse and did some kind of lateral transfer. I'm fairly sure he didn't go to OCS.