• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DLQs

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
The boat qual for the -57 doesn't seem like that big of a deal as it is on the jet side. Is doing it in the rag just more of the same, just a bigger bird?

DLQ's in Helo Advanced are strictly a procedural hoop. There is really little stick skill or flying ability. It's more to teach procedure. The only hurdle is the mighty '57 is a little underpowered at the high gross weights that you go out on - so some airmanship is required.

But honestly it's pretty easy.

There's been debate for years about raising the bar and doing night, goggles, etc - where to draw the line between what the Training Command does and what the FRS does as far as basic combat/flying skills.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Does the 60 RAG do goggle DLQs? On the green side DLQs and FCLPs for that matter are all handled at the fleet squadron level.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
No goggle DLQs until your fleet squadron. It's mighty dark out there unaided with no moon...

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
We don't do goggle DLQs in HSL either. Take off before sunset, get to the boat and do the day landings, then do the night landings after sunset, then fly home.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The boat qual for the -57 doesn't seem like that big of a deal as it is on the jet side. Is doing it in the rag just more of the same, just a bigger bird?

Helo side: Not required to get wings.

Jet side: Required to get wings.

I was curious to why they can waive it in the tracom though for helo guys, seems wierd.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I was curious to why they can waive it in the tracom though for helo guys, seems wierd.

Probably because it's so anti-climatic. Like Chuck said, it's just procedureal. If you can set down a -57 on the rock spots at Spencer, you can set it down on an area twice the size that's going 2 knots sideways.

But I hear you....we ARE Naval Aviators, so why not make us do it. The real answer is probably money. If IX isn't around and no other boats are around, why make everyone wait.

MasterBates

Maybe A4s can correct me, but back in the old days, did not ALL Naval Aviators CQ on the LEX in T-28's, regardless of pipeline in Intermediates?

Too bad the T-6 does not have a hook and launch gear....

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
But I hear you....we ARE Naval Aviators, so why not make us do it. The real answer is probably money. If IX isn't around and no other boats are around, why make everyone wait.

Yep, I agree there for sure.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Probably because it's so anti-climatic. Like Chuck said, it's just procedureal. If you can set down a -57 on the rock spots at Spencer, you can set it down on an area twice the size that's going 2 knots sideways.

Yeah, My class and several classes before us were waived from going to The Barge since it was in an extended drydock period.

I don't know if they've used other boats recently, but flying over the open water in a jet ranger wouldn't give me warm fuzzies.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yeah, My class and several classes before us were waived from going to The Barge since it was in an extended drydock period.

I don't know if they've used other boats recently, but flying over the open water in a jet ranger wouldn't give me warm fuzzies.

Eh, as long as you have a vest...

Back when I was winged, we were the last group to go as it was going into drydock then, as well. I heard a rumor that the summer group would get to go to a Gator or carrier, but not sure if that happened. Honestly, a simple frigate or CG out of Mississippi would do the trick. I think -514's deck is about the size of a FFG and therefore bigger than a CG. Oh wait...a FFG can't travel in a straight line, so maybe that's not such a good idea. :)

Pags

N/A
pilot
Eh, as long as you have a vest...

Back when I was winged, we were the last group to go as it was going into drydock then, as well. I heard a rumor that the summer group would get to go to a Gator or carrier, but not sure if that happened. Honestly, a simple frigate or CG out of Mississippi would do the trick. I think -514's deck is about the size of a FFG and therefore bigger than a CG. Oh wait...a FFG can't travel in a straight line, so maybe that's not such a good idea. :)

Yeah, it would have been cool to go to a boat in the HTs, but at the time I was just psyched to get out of there. Seems kinda silly to do an initial DLQ on a big deck in the sea ranger, a CV's got to have more deck space than half of the OLFs (slight hyperbole). But, there are pics up in the HT spaces of a sea ranger turning on the deck of the old Lexington.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yeah, it would have been cool to go to a boat in the HTs, but at the time I was just psyched to get out of there. Seems kinda silly to do an initial DLQ on a big deck in the sea ranger, a CV's got to have more deck space than half of the OLFs (slight hyperbole). But, there are pics up in the HT spaces of a sea ranger turning on the deck of the old Lexington.

Yeah, although it's not like you're cleared for the whole deck. Kind of reminds me of "Airplane: The Movie."

"EIGHTBALL FIVE-FIVE, Charlie SPOT 5, SPOT 4, SPOT 3, SPOT 2..."

Would be cool to land on a piece of history like the Lex, though.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot

I did the VOR approach into Gulfport/Biloxi one night and went about 8 miles or so offshore for the FAC. Neither the IP or I enjoyed that portion of the approach. Especially since we didn't have wet vests as we weren't planning on going overwater.