• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Do Long Flights Make you Poo?

Achilles

That dog won't hunt, Monsignor!
pilot
Incoming!!!

Recommend you consider aircraft that fly short missions,... like the U-2.

I know you're being sarcastic, but out of curiosity how long are your average flights? I'm sure you have plenty of pre-flight work as well (donning the spacesuit), about how long does that normally take?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Since we're "measuring" ... :)

Military ..... 10 hours chock-to-chock on the first day of day/night RAG CQ (one (2?) trip(s) through the Miramar hot-fuel pits and at least two hot-pumps on the BOAT).
:sleep_125

Civilian ..... 14 1/2 hours -- New York to Tokyo. Greater than forecast headwinds .... which reaffirms my premise that little boys who tell lies grow up to be WX guessers. :)

Njc242

awesome thanks for the responses!
never a dull moment in the military =)

anyone want to fill me in on the 6 degrees of kevin bacon game?

Since we're "measuring" ... :)

Military ..... 10 hours chock-to-chock on the first day of day/night RAG CQ (one (2?) trip(s) through the Miramar hot-fuel pits and at least two hot-pumps on the BOAT).
:sleep_125

Civilian ..... 14 1/2 hours -- New York to Tokyo. Greater than forecast headwinds .... which reaffirms my premise that little boys who tell lies grow up to be WX guessers. :)

I forget, crew duty was I think 18 hrs in 9's and 131's. Buck 18 days was something like 15 hrs between Gander and "George The Crook". Bet A4 and Flugelman is the only ones here who knows that reference. ;)

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Also the Movie Game. Someone names an actor, next guy names a movie he was in, next guy names another actor in that movie, next guy names another movie that actor was in, etc etc etc. Repeat until Marshal.

The Hummer Chem Shitter no longer comes factory-standard, though even the brand-new HE2000s still come with the attachment points and there are still NATOPS references to the AEC as the "Lavatory". With the refueling probe on the way, there's agitation in the community to reinstall the thing.

We used to play that game in the COD on our long flights while in the Gulf. Fun times. Also, for some reason, the U.S.S. Kitty Hawk would give us a brown bag full of oranges, like 20 of them...So, we would take the ditching hatches out and throw the oranges out...That kept us entertained for a bit..

Pags

N/A
pilot
I think I might have a 9hr NAG run in my log book, and an 8hr vertrep. If I have to be in the helo for hours on end, I'd much rather do vertrep since that keeps the crew busier and more engaged. The NAG runs were always a battle with boredom. We'd do PQS signoffs, HAC scenarios, dirty jokes until you run out, trivia books, etc. Next time I plan on bringing trivial pursuit cards. On long flights I always try and remember to bring along some drinks and some snacks, since the boat donkeys can be counted on screwing up boxed lunches.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Top Five and Would You Rather went a long way towards getting through that second bag of SSC at about 0300. And then there was always "training videos" on the FLIR VCR.

My favorite game, though, was to find an MPA and ask them to "mark status of burritos". Which was always met with: "uhhhhhhhh....wait one." You could then almost hear the pages of the TACMAN start flipping.

...then again, maybe that's a lot funnier when you're so tired you laugh-cry at anything.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
This is one of those topics that makes all the P-3ness I have to deal with just a little more bearable.

Njc242

Also, for some reason, the U.S.S. Kitty Hawk would give us a brown bag full of oranges, like 20 of them...So, we would take the ditching hatches out and throw the oranges out...That kept us entertained for a bit..

haha, instead of egging a house, you should orange a boat?

and thanks for the title change whoever did it...:D

xnvyflyer

xnvyflyer
pilot
I know of an H-2 pilot who crawled over the center console and into the cabin. He then removed his SV-2, strapped into a gunner's belt and proceeded onto the starboard aux fuel tank, in flight, over the gulf and took a shit. Not my det. Just passing the news.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We had a big ole guy named Bubba that just couldn't manipulate the zipper on his drysuit when nature called so he just relieved himself in the suit. He said it warmed him up and he came to like it. He was always fumbling with his drysuit in the shower after a flight. We really didn't want to know about it and averted our eyes. He was a former New York City cab driver and gave us way too much information about his life and exploits in the Naked City and in the cockpit.

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
I know of an H-2 pilot who crawled over the center console and into the cabin. He then removed his SV-2, strapped into a gunner's belt and proceeded onto the starboard aux fuel tank, in flight, over the gulf and took a shit. Not my det. Just passing the news.

That HAD to have left a turd trail on something. I can't imagine anyone hanging their ass into the slipstream, taking a dump, and the turds just dropping away like MK-18's. Come to think of it, I'm not sure the gunner's belt was long enough to climb out on an aux tank. Putting more thought into this (which is just wrong, by the way), the gear must have been down so they weren't going all that fast (for an H-2). Maybe the dude at the controls was giving him a little right-rudder to shield him from the slipstream. :eek:

xnvyflyer

xnvyflyer
pilot
That HAD to have left a turd trail on something. I can't imagine anyone hanging their ass into the slipstream, taking a dump, and the turds just dropping away like MK-18's. Come to think of it, I'm not sure the gunner's belt was long enough to climb out on an aux tank. Putting more thought into this (which is just wrong, by the way), the gear must have been down so they weren't going all that fast (for an H-2). Maybe the dude at the controls was giving him a little right-rudder to shield him from the slipstream. :eek:

I never gave analyzed what the consistency or aerodynamics of his brown trout may have been but I'm sure there was some BDA done upon landing and I hope whoever as at the control was giving him some right rudder.

I started to describe one of the crazy aircrewman stories but to be perfectly honest, I don't think it's fit for publication in this forum and I didn't want to threadjack. Some of you bastards were absolutely nutz.