• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Doctors in the Navy?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
oh god, i just read this here:
http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/NAMI/Academics/flightsurgereq.htm that you need to have normal depth perception, and i am pretty sure i do not! it never affects me in real life, but my ophalmologist confirmed that i see with 1 eye. could you get a waiver for that, or it's out of the question, and i should go for dmo?
Also for those FS people who get into the program to be dual-designated by going through flight school, how much additional service time do they accrue?
thanks!

I wouldn't plan on a dual designator career - it's somewhat of a rarity. Plus, with only one good eye, you're going to have trouble getting ANY designator at all, let alone Pilot and FS.

Brett

mumiitroll

I wouldn't plan on a dual designator career - it's somewhat of a rarity. Plus, with only one good eye, you're going to have trouble getting ANY designator at all, let alone Pilot and FS.

Brett
yes, i don't plan on becoming a dual designator. i asked it as a separate question, i was interested in how many additional service years they accrue if they are selected for training? i still want to know if i can at least get a waiver to be FS? Also by "1 good eye" i meant that i lack depth perception, i can drive a car whether i close my left or my right eye.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Baby-pirate.jpg

Arrrrggghhh!

mumiitroll

Who gets more stick time: flight surgeons in air(operational) squadrons in navy or fs in the air force? Also is it true that if the location of the base is less desirable(i.e. mississippi), then fs gets more stick time than in a cool base like florida keys or overseas billets? Thanks.

The Stinkster

Now who do I blame?
pilot
A little confused about the "stick time" reference. Our flight surgeon went flying with us some, and on transits we would let him sit in the seat for a bit if nothing was going on, but all the time he logged was special crew time....no fp/cp time logged. Unless you are in the rare "dual designator role", I doubt that there will be any significant "stick time". You are not part of the crew as an FS, you are not a designated aviator, and unless other communities do it really differently, you can't log flight time (time on the controls), only special crew time for the duration of the flights for the purpose of getting flight pay/getting to "ride along" for flights. Being a flight surgeon does not mean that you will be out flying missions as a pilot from time to time. Sorry if this is already obvious, but the thread was confusing me as to what you were asking/what your impression of the flight time you get was.

pdx

HSM Pilot
You also know that flight surgeons are doctors right? Meaning they have completed medical school. Many of them have also been through their residency programs.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
3710 used to say that a FS could fly the aircraft in all phases of flight with an IP. We had a FS that took advantage of this and used to bounce with the XO. This was back in 1988 when flight hours were available for the asking and forced on those who didn't.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Ah mummiitroll is back. I hope you take the advice given to you by the members of SOCNET to heart, because the same applies as a Flight Surgeon.

mumiitroll

A little confused about the "stick time" reference. Our flight surgeon went flying with us some, and on transits we would let him sit in the seat for a bit if nothing was going on, but all the time he logged was special crew time....no fp/cp time logged. Unless you are in the rare "dual designator role", I doubt that there will be any significant "stick time". You are not part of the crew as an FS, you are not a designated aviator, and unless other communities do it really differently, you can't log flight time (time on the controls), only special crew time for the duration of the flights for the purpose of getting flight pay/getting to "ride along" for flights. Being a flight surgeon does not mean that you will be out flying missions as a pilot from time to time. Sorry if this is already obvious, but the thread was confusing me as to what you were asking/what your impression of the flight time you get was.

I was told on another forum that air force fs get to fly to and from the training site in a 2seat fighter jet(the pilot participates in takeoff and landing and the actual training mission, which may be a dog fight or whatever, but fs still gets to fly).

mumiitroll

aircraft carriers

if an aircraft carrier like Nimitz deploys on a 6months tour or whatever, does the flight surgeon go on the cruise as well? Do all the carriers have 2seat fighter jets and helicopters? What port calls do they usually make? i.e. i searched on wikipedia that Nimitz liked to go in the mediterranean. Yet it's home port is san diego. Does it mean it goes all the way around south america or around canada? When an aircraft carrier is not deployed, is the flight surgeon still attached to some operational air squadron? thanks

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
if an aircraft carrier like Nimitz deploys on a 6months tour or whatever, does the flight surgeon go on the cruise as well? Do all the carriers have 2seat fighter jets and helicopters? What port calls do they usually make? i.e. i searched on wikipedia that Nimitz liked to go in the mediterranean. Yet it's home port is san diego. Does it mean it goes all the way around south america or around canada? When an aircraft carrier is not deployed, is the flight surgeon still attached to some operational air squadron? thanks

Yes/yes/any carrier can go anywhere in the world/how do you go around Canada? (consult a globe and get back to me with your Nav plan on that one)/yes/you're welcome.

Brett

Carno

Insane
What port calls do they usually make? i.e. i searched on wikipedia that Nimitz liked to go in the mediterranean. Yet it's home port is san diego. Does it mean it goes all the way around south america or around canada?

Panama Canal ring a bell?