• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Does Navy pay for FAA certs/ratings?

bosaviator79

I tried the search but couldn't find anything on this topic. My question is:

Will the Navy pay for any futher FAA tickets and or ratings while serving?

I know you can you use the MGIB for flight training after attaining the PPL. However, I've heard that the Govt will finance additional ratings or certs while on active duty with the same pre-requisite as the MGIB flight training arrangement. Is there any truth to this? I'm only curious as I want to complete my CFI but don't see any need in paying out of my pocket if the Govt will pick up bill.

Huggy Bear

pilot

I know you can you use the MGIB for flight training after attaining the PPL. However, I've heard that the Govt will finance additional ratings or certs while on active duty with the same pre-requisite as the MGIB flight training arrangement. Is there any truth to this? I'm only curious as I want to complete my CFI but don't see any need in paying out of my pocket if the Govt will pick up bill.

Generally no. I do know that a lot of my fellow quitters have used the MGIB to significantly discount the cost of their ATP/type rating training. A lot have used it to reduce Higher Power's cost from $7400 to 3-4K.

FlyinRock

And I am curious why I should pay for your training since I am also paying your monthly? Perhaps it was the way you phrased it but I lump that into the illegal aliens wanting me to pay for everything........

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
And I am curious why I should pay for your training since I am also paying your monthly? Perhaps it was the way you phrased it but I lump that into the illegal aliens wanting me to pay for everything........

Easy...he asked if they did...he didn't say that they should. Slow your roll there turbo.;)

tlevine

Excuse my ignorance, MGIB? Is this guy still in the aviation training pipeline or is he out completely because I was under the impression that winged aviators are allowed to take equivalency exams for free provided that they have enough flight hours. After winging don't most people have enough hours for at least a commercial rating? As far as CFI goes, you still have to have a designated examiner check you off for that one no?

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Excuse my ignorance, MGIB? Is this guy still in the aviation training pipeline or is he out completely because I was under the impression that winged aviators are allowed to take equivalency exams for free provided that they have enough flight hours. After winging don't most people have enough hours for at least a commercial rating? As far as CFI goes, you still have to have a designated examiner check you off for that one no?

Equivalency exams yes...free...no. There are also many more things to spend your training dollar on in aviation beyond your commercial license, which is what you get from the training pipeline.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor

It's not "free". You have to pay the FAA to take the test. The hours are technically "free" though, as you get the required number through flight school. The test is an expense that everyone that is trying to get their commercial license has to do. For comparison, the military competency exam is only $90, compared to the cost of a commercial check ride, ~$350-$450, and the exam itself.

Around Pensacola, a former Marine Gunney turned airline pilot runs a mil comp prep class for $100, and then the test is $90. He practically teaches you the test in that class, I've never actually met anyone who failed the test after taking the class.

bosaviator79

No I'm not in the pipe line. I'm applying presently. I used my MGIB following my PPL. I presently have the COM SEL. I'm working on the CFI right now, but being that I heard about this it peaked my interest so I thought I'd ask. Its not really the flight time that matters as long as you meet the FAR requirements for the CFI. I'm refering to the ground and such in the initial question. And your probably right about the equivalency exams, I don't know, but we're comparing apples to oranges.

tlevine

No I'm not in the pipe line. I'm applying presently. I used my MGIB following my PPL. I presently have the COM SEL. I'm working on the CFI right now, but being that I heard about this it peaked my interest so I thought I'd ask. Its not really the flight time that matters as long as you meet the FAR requirements for the CFI. I'm refering to the ground and such in the initial question. And your probably right about the equivalency exams, I don't know, but we're comparing apples to oranges.

Yeah, I am ignorant becuase I was trying to ascertain what you guys were talking about. I spit that out because I assumed that you were entering the aviation community, were in it, or had left it. From what I gather you are not in it and are pursuing a civilian flying career independent of the military save for them possibly reimbursing you for expenses associated with that. Am I correct?

bosaviator79

Yeah, I am ignorant becuase I was trying to ascertain what you guys were talking about. I spit that out because I assumed that you were entering the aviation community, were in it, or had left it. From what I gather you are not in it and are pursuing a civilian flying career independent of the military save for them possibly reimbursing you for expenses associated with that. Am I correct?

Not reimbursing me, they owe me nothing. I'm just saying that I'm applying for a pilot slot and being that I'm a civilian pilot I'm interested in getting the CFI (i'd like to instruct part time while active) then eventually the ATP and additional ratings while concurrently serving in the Navy, that way I'm prepared to transition to the airlines or corporate once I retire. I had heard that the Navy may pick up the tab (read response to rock) for some of that and I just wanted to know if that was true before I commit to paying for the remainder of my CFI. No issue really, I'll pay if I have to. Just looking to be informed.

bosaviator79

And if your paying me monthly for something, I'd like to know cause I'm not recieving that check buddy!:D

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ladies...take your pissing match to PMs.

19.gif

tlevine

Ah ok. Well, provided that you do get your flight slot, I think after you are winged you are allowed to take equivalency exams to get further ratings. You just have to pay money to take a written test and provided you pass, the FAA issues you your certification. If you like that idea maybe wait to see if you get into Navy flight training? The downside is just being strapped for time if you do get into the pipeline. I know I was trying to pursue my PPL while starting flight school for the Navy. I eventually ran out of time despite being only two flights away from the PPL just because of the time considerations for flight school.

phrogpilot73

Around Pensacola, a former Marine Gunney turned airline pilot runs a mil comp prep class for $100, and then the test is $90. He practically teaches you the test in that class, I've never actually met anyone who failed the test after taking the class.
That guy is my buddy's cousin. For my buddy's friends, he's willing to give us a multi-engine add-on for just the cost of flight time...

bosaviator79

Ah ok. Well, provided that you do get your flight slot, I think after you are winged you are allowed to take equivalency exams to get further ratings. You just have to pay money to take a written test and provided you pass, the FAA issues you your certification. If you like that idea maybe wait to see if you get into Navy flight training? The downside is just being strapped for time if you do get into the pipeline. I know I was trying to pursue my PPL while starting flight school for the Navy. I eventually ran out of time despite being only two flights away from the PPL just because of the time considerations for flight school.

Sweet! I appreciate the info. I think that is more than fair being able to do that based on the flight time accrued. Thanks for your help. Thats rough about the two days, did you have the check ride scheduled? Either way I think you made out pretty good. I'd take a Navy check ride over my Private any day.