• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Does Navy pay for FAA certs/ratings?

Huggy Bear

pilot
There is a very affordable option for a commercial equivalency. You are entirely on your own for the CFI, even if you are a military instructor pilot. There is no ATP equivalency, you are on your own even if MGIB helps you pay for training.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
In P-3 land, you used to be able (with CO approval) to get the FAA to ride along on a pilot NATOPS check and get a type and ATP out of it (assuming you had the ATP written completed).

phrogpilot73

You are entirely on your own for the CFI, even if you are a military instructor pilot.
I thought they had changed the FARs recently (like as in a few months recently), and you could take an equivalency exam for CFI... Seem to remember a bunch of guys on here getting excited about it...

Huggy Bear

pilot
I thought they had changed the FARs recently (like as in a few months recently), and you could take an equivalency exam for CFI... Seem to remember a bunch of guys on here getting excited about it...

Awesome! Never heard of that, but I hope its true.

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
I want to complete my CFI but don't see any need in paying out of my pocket if the Govt will pick up bill.

Provided you participated in the GI Bill sometime early in your career, you should have a pretty healthy account balance. I contributed in 89' and had about 24K. I'm sure the benefits are much better now.

You can only use GI Bill flight training benefits at a Part 141 govt approved flight school. The have a very specific govt approved syllabus. Beware though, you must still pay your costs up fron because the reimbursement process can take a couple months.

I couldn't find a VA approved school nearby, so I found a good Part 61 school that aligned themselves with a distance learning university for the purpose of graduating with a degree in professional aeronautics at the conclusion of yuor flight training. I took one class which made me eligible for VA education (vice flight) benefits which equates to a check for $1,200/month for as long as I'm enrolled. You get more money based on your course load. It's actually a good deal and allows some flexibility. You can burn through your benefits pretty fast if you enroll in one of those 50K professional courses though. I just used it for my CFI/II and rotorcraft CFI. I don't plan on pursuing a degree from the university, so I just take some easy classes that interest me.

This is also a method for guys to get the VA to pay for PVT training.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
In P-3 land, you used to be able (with CO approval) to get the FAA to ride along on a pilot NATOPS check and get a type and ATP out of it (assuming you had the ATP written completed).

It still exists. The HT guys do it down at GNV in the -57. I've also seen the CG guys doing it a few weeks ago in a Shark, also out of GNV. Apparently the examiner is a former Army pilot. I've never talked to him, only interrupted by him.