• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dr Frank Dully “Sex and the Naval Aviator”

Random8145

Contributor
The ones that do it blindly die quickly, yes. Natural selection at work.

But fundamentally, they willingly do extraordinarily dangerous things that they don’t have to do to make a living. And the danger is not a bug, it’s a feature. At least for some.
I think one can be into doing dangerous things but still be safety conscious. For example, you might love skydiving but still be VERY safety conscious. Or bungee diving. Or race car driving. Doing an adventurous, adrenaline job partially or fully for the fun of it doesn't mean one must lack a commitment to safety.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think one can be into doing dangerous things but still be safety conscious. For example, you might love skydiving but still be VERY safety conscious. Or bungee diving. Or race car driving. Doing an adventurous, adrenaline job partially or fully for the fun of it doesn't mean one must lack a commitment to safety.
Stop talking.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
People said to me many in Naval Aviation are not the most safety conscious, so I was explaining my reasoning on why I do not see doing such and being safety conscious as mutually exclusive.
So you're telling people who have actually lived in Naval Aviation and know both themselves and the personalities of their colleagues what it's like to be in Naval Aviation and the types of personalities the community attracts?

Next are you going to tell us how the type of young man who is often attracted to military service is usually also disinterested in women, booze, and adrenalin rushes?

As Brett recommended, stop digging yourself into a hole.

Random8145

Contributor
So you're telling people who have actually lived in Naval Aviation and know both themselves and the personalities of their colleagues what it's like to be in Naval Aviation and the types of personalities the community attracts?

Next are you going to tell us how the type of young man who is often attracted to military service is usually also disinterested in women, booze, and adrenalin rushes?
Actually, no. There is a huge misunderstanding here I think. I wasn't trying to state what types of personalities the service attracts at all, my argument was that such people being attracted into Naval Aviation doesn't mean they can't be made safety conscious. I am sure many guys who join the Navy to fly want to be Maverick from Top Gun and many who go onto Special Operations want to be Rambo.

Random8145

Contributor
The type of person who would willingly engage in a profession as dangerous as Naval Aviation tends to be one who also has little patience for silly notions like safety and moderation.
So going back to this original point, this leads to me have a question----basically, how does this play into the airlines when such pilots leave the Navy to become an airline pilot? Does this mean the airlines have a lot of pilots who are not very safety conscious...? I ask because I see in the thread on the airlines about how many Navy pilots seek to join the airlines.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So going back to this original point, this leads to me have a question----basically, how does this play into the airlines when such pilots leave the Navy to become an airline pilot? Does this mean the airlines have a lot of pilots who are not very safety conscious...? I ask because I see in the thread on the airlines about how many Navy pilots seek to join the airlines.
JFC...Just stop talking.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
The type of person who would willingly engage in a profession as dangerous as Naval Aviation tends to be one who also has little patience for silly notions like safety and moderation.
As someone who willingly engaged in that profession for many years, I disagree with this statement.

In my experience, safety has always been a priority. It is just not always THE priority. If it was, we would never fly.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
As someone who willingly engaged in that profession for many years, I disagree with this statement.

In my experience, safety has always been a priority. It is just not always THE priority. If it was, we would never fly.
That's probably a better way of explaining my point.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

Yeah, I've done some dumb/dangerous stuff before to meet mission requirements, but I wouldn't say I have ever gone out looking for it

And you definitely don't go looking for it with 178 (wide body guys can insert their pax count) passengers sitting behind you.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Yeah, I've done some dumb/dangerous stuff before to meet mission requirements, but I wouldn't say I have ever gone out looking for it

And you definitely don't go looking for it with 178 (wide body guys can insert their pax count) passengers sitting behind you.
I think that's right. As a young dude, it was humbling for me that I'd be responsible for 24 pax in the back. It made me want to study harder, I guess.

To the random poster, what org has a motorcycle safety club monitored by a JO ground safety officer (GSO), then supervised by a mid-level manager (DOSS)...besides the military.