• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dream Sheet: KOREA

Your Dream Sheet

• Total voters
B

Blutonski816

The Korean Conflict presented another great age in Naval Aviation, not to mention the dawn of rotary winged Naval aviation in combat. Some of my favorite classic warplanes came from this era.

So same rules as last time, pick you dream machines.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
My grandpa flew FJs. That's a sleek machine. Thus my pick being an FJ Fury.

FJ-4B_six_rocket_pods_NAN9-57.jpg

phrogpilot73

Truth be told, my first choice wouldn't be one that was in Naval Aviation. That would be the Bell H-13 (think MASH). That thing would be fun to fly. But since it's NAVAL Aviation, my vote goes to the HRS - the forerunner to the H-34...

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
After seeing the Bridges at Toko-Ri I definitely have a great appreciation for the F9F. What a great plane (and movie!)

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
The Glenn Martin company built a few examples of an airplane that was pretty much an analogue of the Spad.....it was called the Mauler, and it had a monster engine. I think there is one at the museum in P-cola.
am-1_martin_mauler.jpg

That looks similar to the P-47.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

brownshoe

Contributor
Hey… Skeeterman, hasn’t chimed in with his choice! After all wasn’t he there?

But I’m with MB, Skyraider for me. I hate to say this, but they were still operational when I was in… what a “bomb truck.”

Steve

B

Blutonski816

My grandpa flew FJs. That's a sleek machine. Thus my pick being an FJ Fury.

Very cool. I got to see the last flying FJ-4 when I took a trip to reno some time ago ('05 I think)... Although the sweptback wing versions (FJ-2 ,-3 and -4) never made it to sea in time to see Action over Korea.
Same thing can be said of the Panther and its evolution to the swept-wing Cougar.

Flugelman

Contributor
My step-dad flew most of them (with the exception of the FJ, F7-F, and rotary wing types.) He was with a FasRon out of Kisarazu, Japan (on the eastern side of Tokyo Bay). He also flew the Avenger. They would use it to ferry in recovery crews to emergency airstrips on the Korean peninsula.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I know the Ford, (think Blutonski's avatar) was a few years too late for Korea....but Heinemann always said that he thought that the F4D would have been his crown jewel had it gotten the chance to sew its oats in combat......sorry A4s. Actually I read a story recently...maybe in Air and Space mag last year, about a couple of F-8s that tried to jump the North Island NORAD F4D squadron, and they got waxed by those guys.