• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dream Sheet: KOREA

Your Dream Sheet

• Total voters
B

Blutonski816

I know the Ford, (think Blutonski's avatar) was a few years too late for Korea....but Heinemann always said that he thought that the F4D would have been his crown jewel had it gotten the chance to sew its oats in combat......sorry A4s. Actually I read a story recently...maybe in Air and Space mag last year, about a couple of F-8s that tried to jump the North Island NORAD F4D squadron, and they got waxed by those guys.

Its funny because I remember reading the first chapter of "Scream of Eagles" where it details a 1V1 between a F4D and an ANG F-86 where the Sabre smoked the Ford.
But still, that big ole Bat-wing, a fat little J57 motor that was good enough to power the F-8 that superceded it years later.

I wanted to include the F4D in this poll, but I thought that if I did, by that token I'd have to add every A/C procured by the Navy & Marine Corps between 1950 and 1960 :eek:.
Not to say there arent a lot of sweet planes from that era... but maybe that'll be for another dream sheet poll (Dreamsheet: Post-Korea/Pre-Vietnam??)

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I've got that Wilcox book in a box somewhere....I thought it was a nugget F-8 pilot against the F-86 Col. who had like 5000 hours in the Sabre....??? But maybe it was an
F4D. It's been a few years since I read that.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Truth be told, my first choice wouldn't be one that was in Naval Aviation. That would be the Bell H-13 (think MASH). That thing would be fun to fly. But since it's NAVAL Aviation, my vote goes to the HRS - the forerunner to the H-34...

A few years ago my two oldest sons got their first helicopter ride in the oldest flying helicopter in the US, and maybe the world. It was a Bell-47, the civil version of the H-13. It was privately owned by a guy in my EAA chapter. He had a CD player mounted under the seat and the boys got to listen to Waylon Jennings as they flew low through the mountains. The Smithsonian was negotiating with the owner for a trade. He was trying to figure out what cool thing the Air and Space museum had that he wanted in exchange.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Actually, the Navy did fly the H-13, though not in combat. Designated the HUL (UH-13) and HTL (TH-13), the Navy flew them from 1946 to until replaced with Hueys.

bell_47k.jpg

Used for some light utility work and as the Pri/Adv helo trainer at Ellyson Field (scroll down about halfway).

The Marines did fly the HTL-4 in combat as part of the VMO squadrons.

h97103t.jpg

Coasties flew float-equipped versions as well.

bell_htl-5.jpg

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not to say there arent a lot of sweet planes from that era... but maybe that'll be for another dream sheet poll (Dreamsheet: Post-Korea/Pre-Vietnam??)
If there are jets in the afterlife (there damned well better be if you want to call it "heaven," and NO CNX MX :D), I've always had a morbid curiosity as to how a Cutlass would fly, given its awful rep. Certainly wouldn't be first on my dreamsheet from that era, though . . .

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....sorry A4s. Actually I read a story...about a couple of F-8s that tried to jump the North Island NORAD F4D squadron, and they got waxed by those guys.

HEY!! Tell me about it: sorry indeed. I butted heads 2V1 against a pair of Montana ANG F-106's -- Billings?? -- @ Tyndall in the early/middle 80's ... it was one of their last "hurrah's" and one of their last dogfights.

So I thought I might have them for lunch. :)

As it turned out, they almost had me for breakfast, lunch, & dinner. I knew something was "wrong" on the run-in when I couldn't see them until one of 'em briefly "conned" @ > 30K' +. I looked up and thought: "Shit, how am I ever gonna get up there w/ any smack left .... "??

They worked an ACM section almost as good as anyone I've ever seen ... they had longed for one last opportunity to yank & bank and get close enough for guns & knives.

.... and the post-flight debrief @ the Club was excellent. :D

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I never would have thunk that the Delta Dart would have been formiddable at all close in.... I figured it would be like one good turn, then you're out of energy and ideas with that machine.

freshy

Genius by birth. Slacker by choice.
pilot
Corsair for me. It woulda been great to fly with "Pappy".

Attachments

• Corsair082.jpg
    Corsair082.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 15
  • boyington.jpg
    boyington.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 11

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I never would have thunk that the Delta Dart would have been formiddable at all close in.... I figured it would be like one good turn, then you're out of energy and ideas with that machine.

Well, truth be told -- they worked the vertical like it's suppose to be done. One was going up while the other was coming down -- at me.

I was doin' most of the rolling and rudder work and taking snap shots as they'd come by -- as soon as I'd latch onto one for an ATOLL firing "solution" -- I'd have to honor the other one's nose that was coming back towards me ... :)

Lawman

None
Dont care that it didnt pass Carrier Quals till the twilight of its Career.

With 4 .20mm and 4 .50 Cal there is just something sexy about this thing...

Tigercat.jpg

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I just realized I have posted in this thread without offering my preference on the dreamsheet.

Number 1 Spot would have to go to the FJ Fury/F-86 Sabre. There's something sexy about heading out to MiG Alley and partaking in an honest-to-God gun battle.

Number 2 Spot would have to go to the Spad. Being able to put warheads on foreheads and to do it right there where the boys on the ground need it, is something special.

Number 3 Spot would have to be another attack bird. Being able to roll in on a target and drop ordnance just sounds like fun. What's the phrase A4's is fond of repeating, "There's no slack," or something along those lines? I guess I just like that mindset.

My $0.02

JTB7

Dont care that it didnt pass Carrier Quals till the twilight of its Career.

With 4 .20mm and 4 .50 Cal there is just something sexy about this thing...

Agreed. Has anyone seen the flying bannana?
ladder.jpg

Haha, I cant believe that thing is flying.