• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dreams do come true!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyinmonkey

Ever since I can remember I have wanted to fly. During my freshman year of college I decided I wanted to be a Marine Corps Aviator. Well, hardwork and determination finally paid off because I just found out that I got a pilot slot! It is still sinking in and I can't believe I was actually chosen. My major is Agricultural Business, I have no flight experience to speak of, I had to have PRK eye surgery, and my PFT was a 267. I feel very lucky to be in this position and realize that the real hardwork is still ahead of me. Even though it will be tough, I can't wait for the training to begin.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
So you got accepted with PRK eh?

- Quote on being selected for an OCS spot -
"If you are chosen, you will have been chosen by Men 'who have been there and done that' and have decided that they wished to have you in Their company, there is no such medal worth as much."

reapergm

When did you get the eye correction? Before or after you signed? I am applying for the same thing. But they told me that if I get the correction before joining up, I won't get into OCS. They said that they're is a chance of getting a pilot slot if I can get correction after I get in. Either way, congrats to ya. I hope that I might get the shot too.

DBLang

PLC Candidate
I would really appreciate if you would tell us all about your PRK surgery and the waiver process flyingmonkey. I know a lot of questions have been answered but I haven't heard anything about it in a long time.

flyinmonkey

Reapergm and DBLang, When I first contacted my OSO about a year ago and told them I wanted to be a pilot but my eyes were not within the limits, they simply told me I had to have PRK eye surgery before I applied. They didn't even sound like waiting would be an option. They also said that I would have to wait 3 months from the date of my PRK surgery before the military would look at me again. So, on December 20, I finally got around to getting my surgery. The surgery went better than I could have expected. I waited my 3 months and then had my eyes tested again. My vision was 20/15 in both eyes. From there I just finished the application process. I am not sure what all paperwork had to be done for my eyes because my OSO took care of all that. I hope this helps. If not, feel free to ask me more questions.

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
yeah, I was told to document EVERYTHING for PRK (pre-op, during, and post-op) getting it in 2 weeks even though the study might end before I can get the waiver. Hey, better to have gone for it than missed out...

"Push the stick foward, the houses get bigger; pull back, the houses get smaller... unless you keep pulling back, then they get bigger again."

flyinmonkey

I am going to school at Truman State University in Kirksville, MO. I got my surgery at Discover Vision Center in Kansas City. They kept very good records of all my visits before and after my surgery. On my last visit I just asked the secretary at Discover Vision to send all my paperwork to my OSO. It all went pretty smooth because they are very good people to work with. They really made me a high priority after I explained my situation. Hey wildflyin69, good luck with your surgery and listen to everything the docs say.

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
thanks, good luck with OCS and with being an SNA, hopefully I'll join you in the air someday!

"Push the stick foward, the houses get bigger; pull back, the houses get smaller... unless you keep pulling back, then they get bigger again."

Status
Not open for further replies.