• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

E-1b?

ElCidAv8tor05

Any of you boys seen a VORTAC around here?
pilot
I was at the Blues' Homecoming Air Show today and there was a plane on display called an E-1B. My question is: what the hell is an E-1B? what were its missions, etc? It kinda looked like a retarded E-2C with a fat non-rotating radome on top. Thanks for your help.

-" Easy"

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Grumman E-1b Tracer aka "Willie Fudd" or "Stoof with a Roof"

http://www.centennialofflight.gov/essay/Aerospace/Grumman-II/Aero39G3.htm said:
To provide the Navy with an airborne early-warning aircraft capable of operating from aircraft carriers, Grumman began development of a variant of the S-2A Tracker in 1954. This was designated as the WF-2, based on the C-1A and subsequently redesignated E-1B, more often being known as "Willy Fudd" to its pilots and crewmen.
Predecessor of the E-2 Hawkeye, same mission.
E-1B:
Grumman_E_1B_Tracer.sized.jpg

S-2A Tracker (predecessor of S-3 Viking):
jas3873.jpg

S-2A was also the basis for the C-1A Trader, the first COD (Carrier Onboard Delivery) which was the predecessor of the current C-2 Greyhound. Note the different rear part of the engine nacelles and lack of a mad boom below the rudder compared to the S-2A.
BICEN22_Grumman_C-1A_Trader_USNavy_PeterMancus.jpg

Dang it, I love Google.:D

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
The Forest Service out here in Cali uses a bunch of S-2's for putting out fires. They also have a few PBY Catalinas. It must be one helluva job to fly those things into a forest fire.

Dunedan

Picture Clean!
None
I'd sure love to see the innards of one of those, and what it was capable of. I bet keeping the sensors working was a hell of a lot harder in the Tracer than it is in the Hawkeye.

Dammit I'm turning into a dork...

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
I think it was A-4's wife that used "cute" to describe it. He was somewhat apalled, if I recall correctly...

Well, I mean...come on, the damn thing looks like it's either a child's drawing of an airplane or a toy. Either way, it's stubby and silly.:)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor