• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

E-1b?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I did some ASW exercises with the South Korean S-2s during the old Team Spirit exercises in the late 1980s. We'd find the sub, they'd lose him, we'd find him, they'd lose him......vicious cycle. Finally we just tracked him ourselves and used the S-2s are a weapons locker for the attacks. The South Koreans liked it better this way too. Instead of "losing face" they gained glory by achieving the kill. Gawd I hate politics.

The fun was flying in the Japanese P-2s. They were a little better at ASW than the S-2s, but riding on the nose 20 feet off the water or at deck height when rigging ships was a blast. No 200 foot rule for those guys. I sat in the nose for a landing too and that was interesting....

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Eh, as of my last trip (2003) Thais don't fly Trackers anymore. P-3s and Fokker 27s fulfill their MPRA role. I do remember seeing some aging, tore up S-2s on the field...kind of sad to see.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Eh, as of my last trip (2003) Thais don't fly Trackers anymore. P-3s and Fokker 27s fulfill their MPRA role. I do remember seeing some aging, tore up S-2s on the field...kind of sad to see.

I know Taiwan does and found the website that said Thailand still does too. Best proof though is still the Mk 1 eyeball, thanks for the update.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
A classic bird. Granted, not a pretty bird by most standards but classic. The power levers hung down from the overhead panel. Difficult to imagine flying the plane like that. My old NROTC Skipper flew E-1B's in Vietnam.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
The power levers hung down from the overhead panel. Difficult to imagine flying the plane like that. My old NROTC Skipper flew E-1B's in Vietnam.
The Twin Otter is like that. I have a couple of thousand hours in it. You get used to it really quick.