• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

E-2D Advanced Hawkeye - Less than a year out.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I’m guessing an AEW radar suite would require similar bandwidth to an MQ-9’s HD FMV plus other data, but that is a guess.

According to wikipedia, the MQ-25 is testing carrying AGM-158C munitions with a newly mounted E/O sensor ball, so the Boeing execs are at least thinking about BLOS ops and other uses for the Stingray. The LRASM weighs over 2,700 lbs per wikipedia so the lift is apparently there with the MQ-25’s Rolls Royce engine for a mini dome of similar weight.

The dome is only part of what the E-2 carries, the fuselage is stuffed FULL of equipment needed for the radar. And your bandwidth presumptions are likely WAY off the mark.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes and no. I was also thinking about the shootdown of our BAMS-D in 2019.
I was the unit OIC when that shootdown happened, and that was a…hm, very specific situation, is all I’ll say on the unclass side. It’s not really analogous to the SAMbush the Ukrainians pulled on the Russian Mainstays. But your overall point is valid, and HVAAP is going to have to come back in a very big way for our next no-shit shooting war; and not just for the AEW assets. I just don’t think an expensive high-end UAS is a solution.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
The dome is only part of what the E-2 carries, the fuselage is stuffed FULL of equipment needed for the radar. And your bandwidth presumptions are likely WAY off the mark.
Copy. I probably missed it bc I was only looking at this blueprint:

SynixMan

Mobilizer Extraordinaire
pilot
Contributor
Yes and no. I was also thinking about the shootdown of our BAMS-D in 2019.

I just...sigh.. 🤦🏼‍♂️

Daily ops in the CENTCOM area, where we regularly fly and sail through the SoH knowingly under the umbrella of SAM and ASCM threats is not the same as HVAAP in a near peer shooting war. The Russians lost Mainstays by flying into a SAMbush, yes, but they are not competent operators either.

hdr777

pilot
Like a pecker growing out of its forehead. Has a E-2D taken gas from a F/A-18 tanker yet? If not, is that the event that will tear open the black hole that ends this madness?

Yes, most tanking around the boat is from rhinos.

Does the E2 fuel probe affect footprint on the boat? Seems like it would, unless it telescopes in or something.

I think it extends maybe a foot further than the non ar version, the tip is right on the foul line when parked in either hummer hole.

As far as I recall, the requirement with the AR plumbing modifications only stipulates that the new "endurance" seats are for the front end folks. Us window lickers are fated to suffer through the same old fart-soaked seats we've always had. Better use some squadron funds to buy some inflatable camp cushions!

Front and back end both have the same seats, they're not that great and I fly with a seat cushion that helps, people seemed to have liked the old seats more actually. They are designing a new seat, MAVRIC that's supposodly signifigantly more comfortable