• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

EA-18G "Growler"

fudog50

Just returned from a conference in San Diego where PMA-265 put on a brief about IOC and development milestones for the EA-18G, even talked about AIMD support. (ALQ-99 at Whidbey, everything else at Lemoore). The funny thing is those guys get upset when you call the new jet the "Growler" because its not the official name. Then what the heck is the official name? I guess it ain't been picked yet, so maybe it will stay a Hornet just like E/F? Some people call the E/F "Rhino", which is a pretty stupid name for a Navy warjet. Anyway, anybody have some insight as to what they are really gonna call the EA-18G? Oh by the way, FRS is stood up in 2008, and IOC is 2009, just around the corner!

Lawman

None
Heres one for Brett

hehe.... yeah go ahead and use this wherever you see fit.

Attachments

• Shocker.jpg
    Shocker.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 319

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
fudog_50 said:
Just returned from a conference in San Diego where PMA-265 put on a brief about IOC and development milestones for the EA-18G, even talked about AIMD support. (ALQ-99 at Whidbey, everything else at Lemoore). The funny thing is those guys get upset when you call the new jet the "Growler" because its not the official name. Then what the heck is the official name? I guess it ain't been picked yet, so maybe it will stay a Hornet just like E/F? Some people call the E/F "Rhino", which is a pretty stupid name for a Navy warjet. Anyway, anybody have some insight as to what they are really gonna call the EA-18G? Oh by the way, FRS is stood up in 2008, and IOC is 2009, just around the corner!

What's wrong with Rhino? I don't think its any less appropriate than 'Intruder', or 'Tomcat', or any of the proposed F-111 names in its day (luckilly made unnecessary by the adoption of the F-14). The AF, Navy, Marines, and CG have historically used birds and lesser land animals as their aircraft namesakes. Why can't the Navy use Rhino? Personally, I like 'Shocker', based soley on the patches and logos seen here at Airwarriors.

fudog50

Why can't the Navy use Rhino? Don't ask me? It's not the official name thats all I know, and again it is a stupid name, for a Navy Fighting WarJet. The animals characteristics don't match the jet for one, (like the name does on almost every other Navy WarJet), so it is less appropriate. An Army Tank for example, could be called "Rhino". I like Shocker too, now that is appropriate and it is a cool patch!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here's the skinny. Yeah, the G-model is coming fast and nobody knows definitively what to call it. It got tagged as the "Growler" early on by the Boeing folks. A naming survey was distributed to all the squadrons to solicit names for the new jet, but I suppose nobody liked the suggestions. There was a certain sentiment to be somewhat like the "wild weasel" community of day past. If memory serves, "mongoose" was what the aggregate Prowler JO community settled on. That has long since fallen by the wayside. Although Boeing (and the Navy) has adopted "Growler" as the new nomenclature, many Prowler operators, such as myself, have revolted at the notion of naming their cutting edge new jet a vulgar synonym for the fecal excretive process. In lieu, the community has, in our proud tradition of Electronic Attack, offered the moniker of "Shocker" as a tactically relevant alternative to the lowest common denominator term of "Growler." How say you, Naval Aviators? Would you rather your attacks upon enemy ne'er-do-wells be facilitated by metaphorical excrement, or a fearsome, omnipotent electronic warrior who will skilfully render your opponents impotent (and quite surprised)!

Brett

fudog50

rhetoric

Jesus Brett talk about rhetoric, you just typed about 500 words of the obvious that everyone has been talking about for the last 3 years! I was looking for some insight from somebody that might have a clue as to what it really is going to be called, but apprecate your rhetoric, its rather colorful. Thanks for your respons.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
J,

You've never heard a massive sh!t called a growler? Like how when you're sittin on the can and you gut is making all those wierd fvcking noises?

OBTW... sorry about the visual if anyone's gettin' ready to eat...

KBayDog

TheBubba said:
J,

You've never heard a massive sh!t called a growler? Like how when you're sittin on the can and you gut is making all those wierd fvcking noises?

OBTW... sorry about the visual if anyone's gettin' ready to eat...

"I don't have much of an appetite, thank you."

geico_cavemen2.jpg

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Mefesto said:
It's called the "Rhino" because it's big and gray. What is it you were saying about characteristics?

And, "203, Hornet Ball, 5.0" was already taken and "203, Super Hornet Ball, 5.0" is too long and potentially confusing for the guys setting arresting gear, etc.

Hence "Rhino", big and gray and harkens back to the nickname for the F-4.

B

Blutonski816

Mefesto said:
It's called the "Rhino" because it's big and gray. What is it you were saying about characteristics?

and I guess if you use your imagination, the IFF box on the nose could be considered one of its Horns...

Fmr1833

Shut the F#%k up, dummy!
None
Contributor
fudog_50 said:

Gay as the name "Growler" is, I'm a little confused as to why the guys you spoke with would claim that Growler isn't the official name:

http://pao.navair.navy.mil/press_re...on=home.view&Press_release_id=3376&site_id=15

Seems like they should know what the aircraft they are pimping is called. Especially when the program co-lead from PMA-265, as quoted in the text of the press release, is the one saying that they are ecited to finally have the official name of Growler.

Lawman

None
Fmr1833 said:
Gay as the name "Growler" is, I'm a little confused as to why the guys you spoke with would claim that Growler isn't the official name:

http://pao.navair.navy.mil/press_re...on=home.view&Press_release_id=3376&site_id=15

Seems like they should know what the aircraft they are pimping is called. Especially when the program co-lead from PMA-265, as quoted in the text of the press release, is the one saying that they are ecited to finally have the official name of Growler.

Ever meet a Lawndart driver that called his F-16 anything but "Viper." Or every meet anybody that worked on/with the B-1's that refered to them as the "Lancer" instead of just "Bone."

I havent. And I grew up around the Airforce. Just because its what some guy with a lot of brass on his collar calls it doesnt mean thats what the crews are gonna name it. Just saying.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
fudog_50 said:
Jesus Brett talk about rhetoric, you just typed about 500 words of the obvious that everyone has been talking about for the last 3 years! I was looking for some insight from somebody that might have a clue as to what it really is going to be called, but apprecate your rhetoric, its rather colorful. Thanks for your respons.
Gee, Fudog, sorry to offend your delicate sensibilities. I presumed that since you had asked a fairly basic question, which I also assume you would have known the answer to since, as you've stated, everyone has been talking about this for the last three years, that maybe you weren't as "up" on matters Prowler as you have since claimed. Whew! Consider that for every question posed here, there are dozens of interested and uninformed people who would like the background and the details for the issue at hand. Anyhow, "Growler" is the official name, and that's official, or did you already know that too? For those who might not be as smart as you, the term comes from a marriage of the "G" model Hornet and the "Prowler." Perhaps I'm being a bit testy, but this is an issue that I care a great deal about. [/Rhetoric]

Good times,

Brett